UK Kindle Users Forum
My personal wishlist - Printable Version

+- UK Kindle Users Forum (http://www.kuforum.co.uk/kindleusersforum)
+-- Forum: Kindle E-Ink Forums (/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Wishlist (/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: My personal wishlist (/thread-415.html)

My personal wishlist - licenced - 03 Oct 2010 08:22 AM

I'm currently collating a list of improvements I'd like to see after using my K3 for a nearly a week. I'll send them to Amazon later on, but thought I would post them here too to see if anyone else thinks they are good or bad

General:
  • I'd like to be able to edit a book's tags - e.g. some sites I have received books from don't show the author name - I'd need to add it so that I can sort by author within my collections
  • I'd also like to be able to sort by date on books in collections and to improve sorting in general. Maybe have the possibility of composite sorts so that I can order my collections by author and then by date so I can easily access a series in the right sequence
  • I'd like to be able to add a URL link to the Home page (or into a collection) so I don't have to navigate first to the browser and then into bookmarks
  • Ability to have a default text size/spacing/screen rotation, but to overide that per book - so rather than having to change it to portrait each time I access a comic or PDF to be able to default that to landscape when opened then to revert to portrait when closed
  • I'd like to be able to sort the Home screen by collection name, not just by date last accessed (I prefer alphabetised lists)
  • I'd like to be able to tag one or more books as 'current reading' and they should always appear at the top of the Home screen even if they are in a collection so I can get to them faster

Browser:
  • Instead of refusing to open links that want to open a new window, ask the user if they want to open them in the current window
  • I'd like to able to sort bookmarks by name or date added (newest first or oldest first)
  • The browser should identify itself as a mobile device so that sites open on their mobile version by default as it's often too hard to read the full sized site without zooming and I spend ages trying to figure out the URL for the mobile version

Coincidentally, my Kindle has just switched to screen-saver and it's the one giving the email address for sending suggestions to - first time I've seen it :-)

Dave

RE: My personal wishlist - licenced - 03 Oct 2010 12:22 PM

Sent the above to both kindle-response and kindle-feedback as I wasn't sure which to use given I'm on the beta firmaware. Got a boiler-plate response from each, but it's nice to know they've been received at least. Given the names of the CS staff who responded I'm guessing Amazon use an Indian call centre? :-)

RE: My personal wishlist - Jaxom - 03 Oct 2010 01:39 PM

(03 Oct 2010 08:22 AM)licenced Wrote:  . I'll send them to Amazon later on, but thought I would post them here too to see if anyone else thinks they are good or bad

Dave

I like all your ideas. I would welcome them all, if Amazon could manage them.
Jax

RE: My personal wishlist - Alex - 03 Oct 2010 03:16 PM

(03 Oct 2010 01:39 PM)Jaxom Wrote:  I like all your ideas. I would welcome them all, if Amazon could manage them.
Jax

I agree, these all look like useful upgrades or features. From seeing other comments and discussions it seems like there is a lot that Amazon can do to improve the collections/sorting aspects for the kindle. When you have the potential to store so much content on the kindle it makes sense that managing all that is as easy and comprehensive as possible for people.

Of course all this is supposition on my part as I am still waiting for mine...8 days and counting...

RE: My personal wishlist - licenced - 03 Oct 2010 03:43 PM

Have they not dispatched yours yet Alex? I ordered mine this time last week and they were showing as in stock on Tuesday.

Anyway - the more people send their ideas to Amazon, the more likely they will be to implement some of the more popular ones.

Dave

RE: My personal wishlist - Alex - 03 Oct 2010 04:36 PM

(03 Oct 2010 03:43 PM)licenced Wrote:  Have they not dispatched yours yet Alex? I ordered mine this time last week and they were showing as in stock on Tuesday.

Alas Dave, my kindle has already arrived but it is a (secret Confused) birthday present, so I can't have it until the 12th Dodgy

Until then, I have to fuel my kindle-longing by living vicariously through the members of KUF who have been fortunate enough to have theirs already.

Not too much longer now Thumbs Up

RE: My personal wishlist - Kulana - 12 Oct 2010 11:51 AM

I'm a very simple soul. I emailed Amazon with my 'really would like...' which were:

1. ..the ability to create sub-folders.
2. ...the ability to create folders/sub-folders via my PC
3. ....the ability to add/delete via my PC.

Other tan that, I'm quite happy.

RE: My personal wishlist - Lou - 12 Oct 2010 05:16 PM

I think the Kindle would benefit from something similar to iTunes to manage the books. I'm not a big fan of iTunes, but in this case I think something similar would be very handy. I know Calibre has some management features, but an offcial Amazon application would be great.

RE: My personal wishlist - Polarman - 30 Dec 2010 06:53 PM

Ive only just become a Kindle owner. Do Amazon ever send software updates to the Kindle?