UK Kindle Users Forum
Reviews - Printable Version

+- UK Kindle Users Forum (http://www.kuforum.co.uk/kindleusersforum)
+-- Forum: eBooks, Books and Audio Books Forum (/forum-13.html)
+--- Forum: General Books Discussion (/forum-40.html)
+--- Thread: Reviews (/thread-2825.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Reviews - catsalsus - 17 May 2011 09:53 AM

In a similar vein to Jan's earlier post I was wondering if folk were more swayed by the positive reviews or the negative reviews on Amazon for a book they were considering?
If it is not an author I am familiar with or a subject I am interested in I tend to go with where the higher percentage of reviews sit.

RE: Reviews - sujay - 17 May 2011 10:55 AM

I do look at the reviews and tend to go by the 4 and 5 star ones together. But if it is something I am not familiar with I will download the sample. Smile

RE: Reviews - daveb - 17 May 2011 11:06 AM

I do look at the reviews on Amazon however I only skim-read a few. If a book has consistently high or low star ratings then that does influence me (unless it’s a book I really want and aim to read whatever). I do find the Amazon ratings slanted towards the high side though and I have bought books in the past based on a raft of 4-5 star ratings which, once I’ve read it, have no idea why it attracted such a high rating.

I tend to focus in on the low ratings as I really want to know why a few people did not like a book rather than reading through dozens of good reviews basically all saying the same thing.

Overall though I’d much rather place my trust in established reviews with some provenance (newspaper book sections, book web sites, personal recommendations from places like KUF etc) than Amazon reviews. Anyone can leave an Amazon review …….. even me LOL Whistle

Dave B

RE: Reviews - joo - 17 May 2011 11:15 AM

I have a quick glimpse, but I will look at a 1 star to see what their problem is Big Grin
Perhaps the reason that there seems to be more higher stars is that people are more likely to ignore it if it's rubbish, or not even finish it. I've left a few reviews and they are all 4 or 5 stars on the basis that I loved the book and want to tell people about it.

RE: Reviews - Phil - 17 May 2011 05:13 PM

When I book only has a handful of reviews I'd say I'm more swayed by negative reviews than by positive ones. I also tend to ignore the 5 star reviews, as I feel it looks more like the Author, family and friends posting the reviews. I also tend to click on the reviewers other reviews as you sometimes see a pattern Wink

Once a book has a large number of reviews I'm happier to believe that it's a more truthful reflection of the book and I will often look at overall star rating score out of 5

I think Amazon needs an IMDB style of scoring, where a user has to login to vote and their profile such as Age Gender, Location etc are used as additional measures allowing Amazon to better rate the book, allowing you to see the overall appeal of the book over various categories. Does it sway to female readers, older readers etc.

[Image: 20110517-fhws9dy3us89hffh9gfqgi4qa8.jpg]

In the above image you can see this film has a much better appeal to a female audience, with the lowest score being in the Males aged 30-44 bracket, which just happens to be my category Tongue So I now have a better idea if this is a suitable film for my evenings viewing and I can see it's probably not the best choice for me. However if I was an over 45 female it would probably be a very good choice of film to watch this evening.

RE: Reviews - Aislynn Archer - 17 May 2011 05:18 PM

I look at reviews, but I always download and read the sample before buying. Always.

RE: Reviews - joo - 18 May 2011 11:54 AM

This is a good article from John Locke about his view on receiving bad reviews http://donovancreed.com/2011/03/bad-reviews/

RE: Reviews - LexiRevellian - 18 May 2011 01:43 PM

(18 May 2011 11:54 AM)joo Wrote:  This is a good article from John Locke about his view on receiving bad reviews http://donovancreed.com/2011/03/bad-reviews/

I love that article and have saved it for future reference as needed.

RE: Reviews - Jan Hurst-Nicholson - 19 May 2011 03:24 PM

I think professional reviewers (i.e. those who review for newspapers and magazines) do tend to give a more constructive review and are able to distinguish between a poorly written book and one that simply doesn’t appeal to them. But the general reader often comments from the heart and wants to share his or her opinion by saying ‘I loved this’ or ‘I hated this‘. I think both opinions are valid, but a professional review does give a better idea of the book’s merits. However, it is difficult to describe a writer’s style and I would always try a sample, which is something that few professional reviewers provide. One magazine’s book page used to provide a paragraph of text and this told me more about whether I would enjoy the book than the actual review did.
I like the idea of being able to see the demographics of the readers. I was pleased to see a youth in his late teens chuckling over Something to Read on the Plane as I didn’t think he would be my intended readership (now I add ‘suitable for both men and women of all ages’ to my blurb Tongue )

RE: Reviews - CJArcher - 23 May 2011 03:12 AM

(18 May 2011 11:54 AM)joo Wrote:  This is a good article from John Locke about his view on receiving bad reviews http://donovancreed.com/2011/03/bad-reviews/

Great article and just what I needed after receiving a 2 star review for one of my books.Confused