UK Kindle Users Forum
Your favourite games (on any platform and of any era) - Printable Version

+- UK Kindle Users Forum (http://www.kuforum.co.uk/kindleusersforum)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (/forum-29.html)
+--- Forum: Computers and other devices (/forum-46.html)
+---- Forum: Software, Games and Apps (/forum-48.html)
+---- Thread: Your favourite games (on any platform and of any era) (/thread-256.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Your favourite games (on any platform and of any era) - Matt - 22 Sep 2010 07:38 PM

The way I judge how much I have loved a game is by how long I've locked myself away playing the thing to the detriment of a social life.

These are in no particular order:

The Secret of Monkey Island (Amiga): There was so much to love about this game. At the time the graphics and sound were amazing. The game had the rare quality of being genuinely humorous. I played it to death. I even loved the box that it came in.

Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge (Amiga): One of my favourites for exactly the same reason as The Secret of Monkey Island.

Command & Conquer (nearly all the series) (PC): Very engrossing stuff. Perhaps its the latent megalomaniac within me but being able to control those little dudes was right up my alley. This game kept me coming back for more.

Anno 1404 (PC): Love the atmosphere of this game. I like the micro-management aspect to this game and I love all those little windows where you manage food, population and requirements. Since I first played C&C (and the like) I've never ceased to enjoy building my settlements up from scratch and watching them grow.

Formula 1 (PC): I don't even remember the exact name of this game but the recent release of F1 - 2010 reminded me of much I adored this game. Compared to some of the games I was playing at the time (doom, quake etc) the level and length of concentration needed for a long race was huge. Its obviously not like the real thing but its the nearest I'm ever going to get.

There's loads more games I've enjoyed over the years going all the way back to the ZX Spectrum but I just wanted to highlight a few for now.

Looking forward to hearing about other folks faves.

RE: Your favourite games (on any platform and of any era) - ali - 22 Sep 2010 08:06 PM

I am not one for games but my partner has a PS3 and the game I like the best is 'Burnout Paradise' - I can watch him play that for hours !!!
We usually do the Tomb Raider games together (I don't actually do anything mind you just tell him which way to go, typical woman I hear you say

ali

RE: Your favourite games (on any platform and of any era) - Lou - 22 Sep 2010 08:12 PM

Hehe now we're talking...

My number one, favourite game of all time must be Final Fantasy VII. I played the PC version as opposed to the PS version. Whilst the graphics look dated nowadays, the story and emotion portrayed in the latter parts of the game along with a soundtrack so memorable that I still listen to it frequently make it a game that I will never forget. If you are a PS3 owner and have never played it, you can get it as a download.

Lemmings (Amiga) - The first day bought my Amiga 500, I was up until about 4.00am playing this. So simple yet so addictive. I think the sequels kind of killed it a bit, but this was also another game with a killer soundtrack.

Half Life / Half Life 2 In my opinion the pinnacle of both PC gaming and value for money. Not only the best first person shooter (although possibly tied with Halo) but also a whole host of free addons including Team Fortress Classic and [Team Fortress 2=] which I still play fairly often.

And my last game for now (I really could go on for ages here) :

Chaos on the ZX Spectrum. Another incredibly simple game - multi-player or play vs the computer in a single screen battle of wizards and tactics. You can actually play the game in your browser nowadays - check out http://www.mykeblack.com/flash/chaos/chaos_content.html

I also loved the Monkey Island games as well as Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis - once again superb gameplay (both my wife and myself would play these for hours at a time) and also brilliant soundtracks.

RE: Your favourite games (on any platform and of any era) - jenk1947 - 22 Sep 2010 08:30 PM

Never been much good at computer games. I am not really interested in shooting or racing, so that rules out most! Most games scare me off with their complicated controls and rules. I am the sort of person who will rarely read a manual because I get word-blindness after a couple of pages. I just prefer to experiment instead. With most games, I would end up dead very quickly on that basis.

The one game I really liked (and because of my lack of nous, with a tips book) was Myst., an adventure/puzzle game with interesting places to go and things to see.

I love exploring and would really like to find a game that just lets me wander around an interesting landscape and discover things (without being in danger of getting blown up or shot). If anyone find one, please let me know. I did try Second Life but was in danger of dying of boredom after a day or so.

Mostly when I play games, it is on my hand device (currently a Nokia 5800XM). I have a solitaire and a pool game that I enjoy.

RE: Your favourite games (on any platform and of any era) - Alex - 22 Sep 2010 08:39 PM

(22 Sep 2010 08:12 PM)Lou Wrote:  Hehe now we're talking...

My number one, favourite game of all time must be Final Fantasy VII. I played the PC version as opposed to the PS version. Whilst the graphics look dated nowadays, the story and emotion portrayed in the latter parts of the game along with a soundtrack so memorable that I still listen to it frequently make it a game that I will never forget. If you are a PS3 owner and have never played it, you can get it as a download.

I played Final Fantasy VII on the PC too, for days on end. It had this awful habit of crashing, sure it was my PC not the game, but it never stopped me from rebooting and picking up at my last save. I might have to download it onto PS3 and start all over again.

Recently I've been going without sleep to play Dragon Age: Origins on PS3 and some of the various downloadable content available for the main game. It is a great game, well recommended if you like your fantasy/group combat RPGs.

I've also played through a few of the Monkey Island chapters that my fiance has downloaded for PS3; funny, entertaining and just the right amount of puzzle-solving.

Great thread - thanks Mutt!

RE: Your favourite games (on any platform and of any era) - Ian Palmer - 22 Sep 2010 09:15 PM

My all time favourite computer game was SimCity 2000 back in 1993 on my Apple Mac LC111.

That's going back a few years....

IanPalmer

RE: Your favourite games (on any platform and of any era) - ali - 23 Sep 2010 08:26 AM

Hi
Jenk, there is a game on the PS3 called Flower which you just kind of float about unlocking ..well..flowers. You end up with fields of the things and it looks really pretty. The makers have another one called Flow which is similiar but you are underwater and have to build creatures - I thought Flower was better though.
There is no getting shot or anything and you have to work out which way to go to get the most points and make everything colourful from a horrible brown/grey.
I quite enjoyed that one - Not that I played it as I think I have mentioned that I am rubbish at things like that (my hand/eye coordination is way off)

I am not sure what format you can get it on apart from PS3.

ali

RE: Your favourite games (on any platform and of any era) - Jaxom - 23 Sep 2010 11:07 AM

Recently I joined "Big Fish Games" and have spent way too much time playing various games. You can play all the games for an hour before deciding if you want to buy one. I seem to like puzzles and time management games best.

RE: Your favourite games (on any platform and of any era) - jenk1947 - 23 Sep 2010 11:35 AM

(23 Sep 2010 08:26 AM)ali Wrote:  Hi
Jenk, there is a game on the PS3 called Flower which you just kind of float about unlocking ..well..flowers. You end up with fields of the things and it looks really pretty. The makers have another one called Flow which is similiar but you are underwater and have to build creatures - I thought Flower was better though.

I am not sure what format you can get it on apart from PS3.

ali

Thanks Ali, I will have a look at that. Sounds sort of psychedelic.

RE: Your favourite games (on any platform and of any era) - ali - 23 Sep 2010 11:44 AM

It is rather jenky and the music is very soothing Smile