UK Kindle Users Forum
Commit a random act of Kindleness - Printable Version

+- UK Kindle Users Forum (http://www.kuforum.co.uk/kindleusersforum)
+-- Forum: Authors and Publishers (/forum-35.html)
+--- Forum: Writing, Publishing and Marketing eBooks (/forum-94.html)
+---- Forum: Marketing eBooks (/forum-101.html)
+---- Thread: Commit a random act of Kindleness (/thread-2249.html)

Commit a random act of Kindleness - Michelle Muto - 29 Mar 2011 03:46 PM

Hello all!

I posted this in the US forum and thought I'd post it here, too. Please feel free to add your own ideas or UK forum links.
---

Ever have one of those days where you wake up and Bluebirds are singing and the sun is shining - even if it really isn't? If you're like me, you just want to do something nice.

If we weren't on a book forum, I'd suggest we do something nice today - bake something for a neighbor, buy some small token for a loved one, or take your dog for a walk (and maybe give them a piece of your steak).

But, we're on the Kindle forum, so how about something ebookish?

-have you read a really good ebook lately? Have you given the author a review? For that matter, how about liking that book while you're reviewing? And tagging them?
-do you read a lot of books by a certain author? How about liking their author page? How about liking their FB author page? (There's a link here somewhere)
-buy an indie book that interests you.
-or, just give one of your fellow indies a shout out.
-tweet someone's book or website or whatever.
-post a comment on their blog post today. Say hello.
-follow some more indies on Twitter.

In fact, wouldn't it be nice to do one kind/kindle thing every day the rest of the week? Wishful thinking, but what the hell. I'll post a few shout outs here after I get my smoothie. Then, I'll look into doing some of my other suggestions, too. Anyone in?

ETA: You don't have to do them all, btw. I just realized I might have made it sound that way.

RE: Commit a random act of Kindleness - TheKindleWorm - 29 Mar 2011 08:08 PM

I'm in!

Today's random act of kindness was to buy someone's fantasy book on here - seeing as it had worms in the description (meal worms) and I'm a fan of worms - it seemed very apt Smile

Erm when I get around to reading it is a different matter as I have a slight backlog of books right now but anyway.

RE: Commit a random act of Kindleness - Susanne - 30 Mar 2011 08:38 AM

I'm at home today and tomorrow, having doubleglazing installed and bathroom re-fitted at the same time - so, I shall be nice to the window people and the handyman, supplying them with unlimited cups of tea throughout the day and I promise not to grumble about the dust and the dirt and the noise they are making. Wink

RE: Commit a random act of Kindleness - DDCambs - 30 Mar 2011 06:35 PM

I did some batch cooking today and made 6 Shepherd's pies. Gave one to my neighbour. She's 76 and doesn't enjoy cooking any more. But, then again, nothing new there. Every time I batch cook, she gets one of whatever I cook. She also gets both breasts of each chicken I cook. I only like the legs and wings. She loves the breasts. Two breasts = two meals for her.

In return, she irons my shirts and I'd much prefer my eyeballs being poked out with knitting needles than iron shirts. She LOVES ironing.....

...did I mention she's weird? ;-)

RE: Commit a random act of Kindleness - Susanne - 30 Mar 2011 07:27 PM

(30 Mar 2011 06:35 PM)DDCambs Wrote:  I did some batch cooking today and made 6 Shepherd's pies. Gave one to my neighbour. She's 76 and doesn't enjoy cooking any more. But, then again, nothing new there. Every time I batch cook, she gets one of whatever I cook. She also gets both breasts of each chicken I cook. I only like the legs and wings. She loves the breasts. Two breasts = two meals for her.

In return, she irons my shirts and I'd much prefer my eyeballs being poked out with knitting needles than iron shirts. She LOVES ironing.....

...did I mention she's weird? ;-)

That sounds like the perfect arrangement! Funnily enough, I find ironing quite soothing - but then I'm probably quite weird too Big Grin

RE: Commit a random act of Kindleness - Michelle Muto - 03 Apr 2011 02:17 AM

It's been a crazy Kindleness week!

Author tags, FB Likes, Author likes... And now that I'm set up to go on the Amazon UK side, I think I'll mozy (yeah, it's a Georgia term) onto Amazon UK and do some tagging. I didn't see the Like button. Guess it hasn't migrated here yet? I'll also see if I can find some blogs to visit. It beats housework. Big Grin And, unless I'm baking brownies, I don't often bake.

But, I DO have a wicked brownie recipe. Can you find Ghirardelli brownie mix there? If so, replace the 1/3 cup of oil with 1/3 cup melted butter. Toss in an EXTRA two handfuls of milk chocolate chips (it's gotta be milk chocolate). Then, bake for 5 minutes less than the box says. Seriously - it's death by chocolate.

And many thanks, KindleWorm!

RE: Commit a random act of Kindleness - James Everington - 03 Apr 2011 08:53 PM

In the spirit of this kindness thread, can I draw your attention to the '2.46 Quakebook' - will be available as a Kindle download to raise money for Japan. I'm not involved or featured, I just know a friend of a friend who is and wanted to spread the word. I've put links, cover etc. on my blog too:http://www.jameseverington.blogspot.com/

cheers
James

RE: Commit a random act of Kindleness - Trace - 12 Apr 2011 03:01 AM

Truly fantastic thread and brilliant idea. I've always been a big believer in giving/sharing etc for no reason other than because you can. So in the spirit of the thread I'd like to recommend an Indie author I've been reading a lot lately -
Brendan Carroll. His Red Cross of Gold series is really amazing, brilliantly written and I'm really loving the series - definitely check him out.