UK Kindle Users Forum
Taking a break..... - Printable Version

+- UK Kindle Users Forum (http://www.kuforum.co.uk/kindleusersforum)
+-- Forum: Authors and Publishers (/forum-35.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (/forum-36.html)
+--- Thread: Taking a break..... (/thread-19983.html)

Taking a break..... - SteeBee - 14 Apr 2017 10:23 AM

After writing two books in quick succession, I feel it's time to take a break. Like many others here, I can only fit in my writing around many obligations. I have the bones of the plot for my next book in the Harry Flynn series, indeed I began to put fingers to keyboard, but feel I need to take some time out to do other things for a while.
Do other members ever feel the need to put pen and paper aside?

RE: Taking a break..... - cecilia_writer - 14 Apr 2017 11:40 AM

Yes - in those cases I usually mull over things for a while but don't write anything down. I might be vaguely thinking about a plan for the next few months, or marinating a specific plot, or wondering about whether to make paperbacks or change my covers. But there are also times when life gets in the way to such an extent that I can't even think! Not so much these days as I am only part time at my day job and my kids are grown-up, but it still happens sometimes.
The way I usually organise my writing is to write first drafts during NaNoWriMo in November and the two Camp NaNos in spring and summer. Then I don't put off getting back to it again at the end of a non-writing spell.

RE: Taking a break..... - Anna Faversham - 14 Apr 2017 03:22 PM

Yes, definitely. After each book I allow myself a couple of months to put my life back together again!

RE: Taking a break..... - Gordon Bickerstaff - 17 Apr 2017 09:53 PM

I think it's essential and healthy to have a good break after a book. Clean out the mind.
I find the editing phase most trying and I need a long break to lift me from editing blues and allow the creative juice to flow again.