UK Kindle Users Forum
IRS Form 1042-S - Printable Version

+- UK Kindle Users Forum (
+-- Forum: Authors and Publishers (/forum-35.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (/forum-36.html)
+--- Thread: IRS Form 1042-S (/thread-19937.html)

IRS Form 1042-S - eyedore man - 21 Mar 2017 09:06 AM

I have just received a 1042-S form from the IRS in America.  I'm based in the UK.  Prior to publishing my book I did fill out the relevant forms last year regarding my tax details and to exempt me from the US tax dept. taxing my royalties before I received them.
Can anyone please tell me what this form is for and what I am supposed to do with it?

many thanks,
Steve Hollands.

RE: IRS Form 1042-S - lyndawrites - 21 Mar 2017 09:55 AM

Well, you could file it  under 'B' - for Bin. Big Grin

As I understand it, Amazon has to inform the IRS that it has paid royalties in full, because the author has filled in the relevant tax documents. Form 1042-S is just your copy. I save mine in my 'Accounts' folder - on the just to be on the safe side principle.

RE: IRS Form 1042-S - Katherine Roberts - 23 Mar 2017 09:24 AM

I wouldn't bin it just yet. If you need to reclaim any withheld taxes, you can use it to file a US tax return, and some people have to file one (see the IRS website for instructions

If you're a UK taxpayer, I should think the HMRC might want to see it during a tax inspection... you need to keep these things for 6 years, I believe, before binning anything? 

* Please note I am not a tax professional, this is just from personal experience.