UK Kindle Users Forum
Brand new kindle voyage 3g with fault!! - Printable Version

+- UK Kindle Users Forum (http://www.kuforum.co.uk/kindleusersforum)
+-- Forum: Kindle E-Ink Forums (/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Kindle Voyage (/forum-173.html)
+--- Thread: Brand new kindle voyage 3g with fault!! (/thread-19335.html)

Pages: 1 2

Brand new kindle voyage 3g with fault!! - runner - 31 Mar 2016 01:18 PM

Having posted how marvellous and brilliant my kindle voyage 3 was it appears it is now faulty! When I try to connect to my wi-fi and enter my password the kindle states that the password is wrong. This of course is not true as both my smart tv, various mobiles, my own pc and my neighbours pc all connect to my "hub" effortlessly.....The suggestion on Amazon is to reboot my hub and then connect again, this works initially but only once and the next time I try to connect to the wi-fi the kindle says again...password is wrong!!
I am so glad I bought from John Lewis as having spoken to them on the telephone today they are quite happy to exchange...has anyone else had this problem?

Whilst writing this post I would also like to ask what you think of the kindle voyage? Is it good or better than for example the kobo? I ask this because the voyage refresh page seems rather odd...when I click to go to the next page the text disappears by "breaking up"...this is done almost instantly however looking  at the kobo in WH Smith today the refresh or go to next page does not appear to do this....and very smoothly goes to the next page. Does this make sense? does anyone else have experience of either of these issues and do you think that the kindle voyage is the best ereader out there? I only ask this as I could change to a kobo if i so desired but am not sure if I want to??

A lot of questions but please do share your thoughts with me

RE: Brand new kindle voyage 3g with fault!! - Daphne - 31 Mar 2016 02:50 PM

Hallo, Runner. I cannot answer all your questions, but I can put a word in for the Kobo, as I bought one from WH Smith last week. I don't think it is the newest or top model. It is the Aura and isn't nearly as top-of-the-range as your Kindle Voyage and comes in at around half the price. But, having previously used a Kindle I am very impressed with the Kobo. I should add that my Kindle was the Kindle 2 International, and it was a beauty. But the Kobo comes in much smaller and lighter. There is a wider range of fonts and it is very easy to set up the reading specifications how I want. There is a built in light option for reading at night. And it does go from page to page without "breaking up" as you suggest your Kindle does. It was very easy to set up to my Kobo account (I previously used the Kobo App on my Kindle Fire) and I think I have been converted to being a Kobo-lover. The only feature it lacks is the text-to-speech I had on my old Kindle, but since none of the newer Kindles have this, I'm not missing out. My old Kindle was 3G, but I'm quite happy to download the books I want from wifi. Another thing I personally like about the Kobo is that I can pay for my books from my paypal account. And best of all, for me, the battery is meant to be the longest-lasting - up to 2 months with wifi off if you read modestly. All in all, happy to put in a good word for Kobo.
Hope you get your problem sorted or are able to change to a model that works well for you.

RE: Brand new kindle voyage 3g with fault!! - l_macd - 01 Apr 2016 06:37 PM

Can't help with the failure to connect to your hub as I've never had any problems with my Kindle not connecting to wifi.

You can change the page refresh settings on your Voyage,  have a play about with it set it to refresh every page or every 6 pages or more to see which you prefer. The Kindle's and Kobo's pretty much handle the page refresh the same way as its part of the eink technology. 

The Kobo readers are pretty good, but they're not that different to your Voyage, they do some things better and some things worse. The Kindle is the easiest to browse for books and get them sent instantly to your Kindle over wifi, plus its linked to the best available bookstore and customer support. With a Kobo you can't read any books you buy from Amazon on it, but you can shop at different places (Sainsburys, Kobo, Google), that sell epubs, and you can read library books on a Kobo. It has more settings for you to play about with, and you can use lots of different fonts & text sizes. Though because its more customisable, the Kobo's tend to be more likely to be a little buggy.

You've have bought the top of the range Kindle model in the Voyage, if you are not completely happy with it, there's nothing to stop you trying either the Kobo Aura H2O or Kobo Glo HD,

RE: Brand new kindle voyage 3g with fault!! - runner - 01 Apr 2016 08:02 PM

I have managed to improve using the the refresh mode and it is a lot better. John Lewis have agreed to change the voyage for exactly the same model as they tend to agree with me that there must be a fault with the internal aerial. Overall I love the look and feel of the kindle voyage (now that page presentation is better) it feels a quality item (should be at the price!) and I am a big fan of downloading and buying from Amazon as I still own and use the kindle keyboard. I am hoping that when the voyage is replaced that I will have no further problems connecting to my hub

RE: Brand new kindle voyage 3g with fault!! - runner - 02 Apr 2016 12:12 PM

After a long conversation with John Lewis followed by a discussion with John Lewis tech dept and a further conversation with Amazon....it was agreed that I could return the voyage for a new replacement. Amazon were quite happy for them to send replacement but when I explained the reason for buying from John Lewis was the extended 2 years guarantee ( they as we know only guarantee for 1 year) it was felt a better alternative if I returned to the store that the voyage had been delivered to and have the replacement sent there. I therefore went this morning to Waitrose in Keynsham near Bristol and after a further conversation with customer care followed by an additional telephone conversation, in the store, with John Lewis tech dept....the kindle has been returned and replacement will be with me on Monday. I do hope the wi-fi works on the replacement although I have this feeling that the problem will still persist.....I guess I'm a "glass half empty" kinda of guy Sad

RE: Brand new kindle voyage 3g with fault!! - disleydog - 02 Apr 2016 07:15 PM

drink the other half ,you will feel much better ...LOL

RE: Brand new kindle voyage 3g with fault!! - Jan Hurst-Nicholson - 03 Apr 2016 07:16 PM

(02 Apr 2016 07:15 PM)disleydog Wrote: Wrote:  drink the other half ,you will feel much better ...LOL

Big Grin

RE: Brand new kindle voyage 3g with fault!! - runner - 04 Apr 2016 06:30 PM

The replacement arrived today.....and it worked immediately!! hurrah Smile

RE: Brand new kindle voyage 3g with fault!! - Jan Hurst-Nicholson - 04 Apr 2016 06:41 PM

(04 Apr 2016 06:30 PM)runner Wrote: Wrote:  The replacement arrived today.....and it worked immediately!! hurrah Smile
Hope it continues to function reliably Rolleyes

RE: Brand new kindle voyage 3g with fault!! - l_macd - 05 Apr 2016 09:25 AM

Hope you enjoy it - and aren't put off by the news that a new "top of the range" Kindle is apparently on it's way! 

https://twitter.com/JeffBezos/status/717033781589204992