UK Kindle Users Forum
Coming Soon: A New Font - Printable Version

+- UK Kindle Users Forum (http://www.kuforum.co.uk/kindleusersforum)
+-- Forum: Kindle E-Ink Forums (/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Kindle Buzz (/forum-43.html)
+--- Thread: Coming Soon: A New Font (/thread-18492.html)

Coming Soon: A New Font - leep - 27 May 2015 09:19 PM

Apparently the app and the e-ink devices will soon be equipped with a new display engine and a new font, which will make ebooks look more like paper books:

"But today, Amazon is making a big step towards better typography on the Kindle. Not only are they unveiling Bookerly, the first typeface designed for the Kindle for scratch, but they're finally solving the Kindle's typesetting problems with an all-new layout engine that introduces better text justification, kerning, drop caps, image positioning, and more."

From: http://www.fastcodesign.com/3046678/the-kindle-finally-gets-typography-that-doesnt-suck

Just downloaded the updated app on my phone and it looks quite nice, certainly very readable, better than the previous one I had selected. It's not going to change the world, but I think it's a nice little improvement.

RE: Coming Soon: A New Font - Tim_A - 28 May 2015 12:30 AM

15 minutes after I started reading with the new font, the Kindle app on my iPad crashed. Coincidence? It's never crashed before . . .

RE: Coming Soon: A New Font - authorsbrianferrispamelaferris - 28 May 2015 01:39 AM

Reading Kindle We don't have an ipod, but just the same thank you we'll stay away from the new font, but I (Brian) am thinking of getting a kindle to see what book reading on one is like since so many others in the world have one nowUndecided Get with the crowd they say-?

RE: Coming Soon: A New Font - authorsbrianferrispamelaferris - 28 May 2015 01:40 AM

(28 May 2015 01:39 AM)authorsbrianferrispamelaferris Wrote: Wrote:  Reading Kindle We don't have an ipod, but just the same thank you we'll stay away from the new font, but I (Brian) am thinking of getting a kindle to see what book reading on one is like since so many others in the world have one nowUndecided Get with the crowd they say-?
     correct that from ipod to ipad, sorry.

RE: Coming Soon: A New Font - sujay - 28 May 2015 05:59 AM

The Kindle app on my iPad updated yesterday, but I haven't had a chance to really test it out yet. Also no crashing problems for me Tim, so not sure what is happening there. Sad

RE: Coming Soon: A New Font - alexroddie - 28 May 2015 06:42 AM

Excellent news! The new typography is more exciting than the new typeface, to be honest, although it is very nice - I always thought slab serif was a little strange as the default body text type.

RE: Coming Soon: A New Font - Tim_A - 28 May 2015 08:49 AM

I agree it does look nice. I'll see if the crash was a one-off next time use it.

RE: Coming Soon: A New Font - Matt McQueen - 05 Jun 2015 09:26 AM

I'm hoping this new font and display engine will appear soon on my Paperwhite.  We spend a lot of time reading screens these days, so any improvement is always welcome.

RE: Coming Soon: A New Font - joo - 05 Jun 2015 08:11 PM

I lined a book up on my iphone as I was going to have to wait for my kebab and wanted to read in the 2 minutes I'd have to wait.
I had a message saying "open in bookerly" (or summat). I thought "no, I want to open in kindle", then I remembered Big Grin
I only read a chapter, but didn't notice anything too different. And the kebab was lush Smile