UK Kindle Users Forum
Fake Kindle Users Forum - Printable Version

+- UK Kindle Users Forum (http://www.kuforum.co.uk/kindleusersforum)
+-- Forum: About This Website (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Feedback (/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Fake Kindle Users Forum (/thread-18215.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Fake Kindle Users Forum - Lou - 13 Apr 2015 11:21 AM

Hi everyone, just a quick update.

A lot of the sites have now been removed with more on the way. What a pain in the backside this has been Sad

Anyway, fingers crossed, that will be the end of it.

RE: Fake Kindle Users Forum - Kath Middleton - 13 Apr 2015 11:26 AM

I do hope so, Lou - and I want to thank you personally for all of this. As you know, I've had my website and blog links stolen too, as I think Lee Penney has. I've been getting around a thousand hits on my blog, per day - I should be pleased but I'm not! They're coming from all these forums and it's from my links on posts I didn't make. It's nasty when people seem to be speaking in your name and you've no idea what they've been saying.

You're doing a great job and I really appreciate it. I'd have no idea where to begin!

RE: Fake Kindle Users Forum - Lou - 13 Apr 2015 11:34 AM

It's so sad that the world is full of scum-bags who seem to thrive on making other peoples' lives a misery and causing them no end of inconvenience, the thing is it's all too easy to do as well. I've received numerous emails from authors who have though that KUF was playing a part in distributing pirated book. Whilst I've set them straight, it must damage the reputation of the forum as a whole.

Hopefully the repercussions will die down and we can all get back to business as usual soon.

RE: Fake Kindle Users Forum - leep - 13 Apr 2015 11:40 AM

Yep. thanks indeed.

I have been waging my own war on this as well, and noticed a lot of sites got taken down over the weekend.

Still lots more to go though.

RE: Fake Kindle Users Forum - joo - 13 Apr 2015 11:41 AM

I've just approved this thread http://www.kuforum.co.uk/kindleusersforum/thread-18309-post-169862.html#pid169862
As well as for promoting the bloke's book, it seems to be cut n pasted from "the evil kuf"
Perhaps after people have looked at it, I'll make it more of a promo thread.

RE: Fake Kindle Users Forum - Lou - 13 Apr 2015 12:00 PM

(13 Apr 2015 11:40 AM)leep Wrote: Wrote:  Yep. thanks indeed.

I have been waging my own war on this as well, and noticed a lot of sites got taken down over the weekend.

Still lots more to go though.

Many thanks to you too. I think things get actioned more swiftly once multiple people lodge compaints. One of the sites seemed to be hosting a lot of the content and this has now been taken down, so they should start falling like dominoes hopefully.

RE: Fake Kindle Users Forum - leep - 16 Apr 2015 06:25 PM

Right, finally written up what I've found. I think I've hit the limits of my skills.

http://leepenney.com/general/i-am-not-a-book-pirate/

Maybe Kath can use that as a 'go read this' link.

To be fair, most of the authors who contact me are happy to give me a copy of whatever I am supposedly asking for. I had a very nice email conversation with a chap called Peter White who was happy to give me as many copies of his book as I wanted, as he'd overestimated and was essentially using them as loft insulation. Big Grin

RE: Fake Kindle Users Forum - Lou - 16 Apr 2015 06:41 PM

(16 Apr 2015 06:25 PM)leep Wrote: Wrote:  Right, finally written up what I've found. I think I've hit the limits of my skills.

http://leepenney.com/general/i-am-not-a-book-pirate/

Maybe Kath can use that as a 'go read this' link.

To be fair, most of the authors who contact me are happy to give me a copy of whatever I am supposedly asking for. I had a very nice email conversation with a chap called Peter White who was happy to give me as many copies of his book as I wanted, as he'd overestimated and was essentially using them as loft insulation. Big Grin
Great writeup Lee, it seems like we drew pretty much the same conclusions on the whole. The wunnibook site appears to be gone now and that was where a lot of the 'skins' for the forums were hosted so that should make a major impact. I too tried contacting domain providers and also 3net which appears to be dodgy as hell, their answerphone message was hilarious. As for the why, I've no real idea either. It must have taken them a ffair while to set up, but what they gained I'm really not sure.

RE: Fake Kindle Users Forum - leep - 16 Apr 2015 06:45 PM

Yes, that appeared to be the linchpin, although there were exceptions (which suggests even more work behind this, bizarre).

Quite scary how many domains had/have been compromised, and that their owners (largely) hadn't noticed!

RE: Fake Kindle Users Forum - Kath Middleton - 16 Apr 2015 06:52 PM

I understood some of that! Wink
I noticed today that the hits on my two links have dropped dramatically, though they are still above their old regular levels. At least I know what's going on and what to tell the next upset author who contacts me.
Generally speaking, the posts made with my links were flattering about the books which adds to Lee's suggestion that it encouraged downloads to allow malware infections.
Be careful out there.