UK Kindle Users Forum
Fake Kindle Users Forum - Printable Version

+- UK Kindle Users Forum (http://www.kuforum.co.uk/kindleusersforum)
+-- Forum: About This Website (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Feedback (/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Fake Kindle Users Forum (/thread-18215.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Fake Kindle Users Forum - leep - 03 Apr 2015 07:54 AM

Not had time to do much more yet, but I had a reply from Sainsbury's:

Quote: I passed your details onto our technical team who have taken a look and advised we are aware of the site and the correct process has been put in place for the site to be taken down.

So sounds like they're on the case but that they're having as much luck as the rest of us.

There are a lot of different domains being used. If you're an author, just do a search for <your name> libri (Italian/latin for book) and see what turns up. Many (but not all) of the pages use a format of:

http://<top-level-domain>/libri-<book-specific-url>

Here's an example from Holdfast:

<top-level-domain>/libri-825-1085-holdfast/

As far as I can see, the top-level-domain owners have no idea they're hosting these pages and I can't see a link in how they were compromised (i.e. they don't run the same software, at least to host their sites).

I'm also struggling as to why whoever is bothering. The common element seems to be a recommendation to use Book Library, with a link, but that link doesn't point to Book Library, it gets redirected to a download site. (I assumed it was some sort of affiliate scam for Book Library, but aside from some upgraded plans, you can't buy anything there, so they're clean.)

I'm guessing that whatever you're being redirected to download is malware/a virus/something nasty. I haven't had the nerve to download anything yet, but I may try and set up a Virtual Machine so if it does get infected I can just destroy it, just so I can confirm my suspicions.

The content of these sites (certain posts at least) appears to be generated rather than users actual posing and answering the requests (that's more of a hunch than anything I can prove).

RE: Fake Kindle Users Forum - Anna Faversham - 03 Apr 2015 09:03 AM

Koreans! North Koreans? They made threats not so long ago to do some pretty nasty things. If they pick on big business then something might be done about it.

Thanks Lou, Joo and others, particularly Detective Leep who's definitely on the case. Googling name + libri, as suggested, I came up with a dodgy ebooks site too. Bravely I clicked - and was relieved to find 'site not found'.

Perhaps Google will join Leep in the search for the truth, which is out there somewhere. (Anyone remember that TV programme? I can't!)

RE: Fake Kindle Users Forum - Scribbler - 03 Apr 2015 01:48 PM

(03 Apr 2015 09:03 AM)Anna Faversham Wrote:  Perhaps Google will join Leep in the search for the truth, which is out there somewhere. (Anyone remember that TV programme? I can't!)
X-Files? Pondering

RE: Fake Kindle Users Forum - Anna Faversham - 03 Apr 2015 02:21 PM

Ah...! Yes, that's it. I think.  Thanks - I should have known I could rely on you, the cleverest duck in the country. I wish I'd thought of an avatar like your duck or Joo's adorable dog.

RE: Fake Kindle Users Forum - Jennie Lee - 04 Apr 2015 08:49 AM

I did a search <Jennifer Hanning libri> and found forums with people asking how they can download WHtP and DoD.  What generally followed was a discussions with some saying how despicable such pirating is, another giving links and pics of the covers of my books, and others making very complimentary comments about my story. So I figured, oh well - it's free advertising. The only think is that the advertising probably reaches pirates only.

While I was searching around, I also found that some of my paperbacks are available on eBay ... at a much higher price than what I sell them for so the sellers must buy them from Createspace when they get an order.  I checked my Createspace royalties - which I stopped doing about a year ago because there was only one or two sale every few months - and discovered there have been 39 sales since mid-December!  Makes me think we should all sell our books on eBay and undercut the ones who seem to be working for us. Undecided

RE: Fake Kindle Users Forum - Jonathan Hill - 04 Apr 2015 08:58 AM

I did a search for myself and found a website offering FAG as a free download. It's a minefield. To be honest, it's best not to look. Ignorance is bliss and all that...

RE: Fake Kindle Users Forum - Tim_A - 04 Apr 2015 12:43 PM

I had a look, following Leep's guide, and I rather wish I hadn't.

RE: Fake Kindle Users Forum - Scribbler - 04 Apr 2015 06:05 PM

(03 Apr 2015 02:21 PM)Anna Faversham Wrote:  I wish I'd thought of an avatar like your duck or Joo's adorable dog.
Mine isn't an avatar - it's a selfie. Tongue

RE: Fake Kindle Users Forum - LindaGruchy - 04 Apr 2015 09:32 PM

I've had a couple of google alerts, may be to this site. Malware infested.

RE: Fake Kindle Users Forum - Jennie Lee - 05 Apr 2015 12:12 AM

Shonkies appear to be buying redirects too.  One link from the Jennifer Hanning libri search took me to ComicBooks. Later, I clicked on the same link to show my partner, and it took me to the fake KUF site.

Also, avatars are using the exactly the same wording for other books. "This book changed my life". You have to read this story twice to get the inner meaning". A very colourful story." etc.