UK Kindle Users Forum
On there forever? - Printable Version

+- UK Kindle Users Forum (http://www.kuforum.co.uk/kindleusersforum)
+-- Forum: Authors and Publishers (/forum-35.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (/forum-36.html)
+--- Thread: On there forever? (/thread-17437.html)

Pages: 1 2

On there forever? - BoJohn - 20 Oct 2014 10:56 AM

I recently read, somewhere on the net, that once your book is up on Amazon it's up there forever! However, in the light of Amazon's relatively recent tax changes I don't see that this can really be true. Surely there are bound to be other changes, that need the authors attention, that come into effect and make it impossible for one to have a book on Amazon forever?

RE: On there forever? - Jennie Lee - 20 Oct 2014 11:08 AM

I have tried to unpublish a story on Amazon - and it remains there as a draft. There seems to be no way I can get it off Amazon completely.

RE: On there forever? - lyndawrites - 20 Oct 2014 11:33 AM

Forever is a long time. All it takes is one stray asteroid or mass coronal ejection (giant solar flare) and...

Wink

RE: On there forever? - Kath Middleton - 20 Oct 2014 11:46 AM

... we're stuffed - is what you're too polite to say. That's why I do like a few paperback copies!

RE: On there forever? - Scribbler - 20 Oct 2014 01:37 PM

Forever? Really? I didn't know that. Undecided

RE: On there forever? - Anna Faversham - 20 Oct 2014 05:40 PM

(20 Oct 2014 11:08 AM)Jennie Lee Wrote: Wrote:  I have tried to unpublish a story on Amazon - and it remains there as a draft. There seems to be no way I can get it off Amazon completely.

I wonder if it is possible to upload a more or less blank copy in place of the book you want to remove, Jennie? If we can edit our books, usually just a few words of course, we could perhaps edit the whole lot out!

RE: On there forever? - Jennie Lee - 21 Oct 2014 04:48 AM

I did a search for it and it seems it's invisible to the public, Anna. I guess I'll have to put up with it cluttering my bookshelf, until some kind of natural - or organised - disaster happens in Amazon territory. I wouldn't like all my books to disappear though, just for the sake of getting rid of an insignificant draft. And that's what I'll be telling the police if they come knocking after said disaster. Confused

RE: On there forever? - Ray Kingfisher - 21 Oct 2014 07:03 AM

I suspect this is all about avoiding duplicate ASIN numbers.

If you create a title you can delete it as long as you've never hit the 'publish' button.

My guess is that once it's been published - i.e. it's been allocated an ASIN - it remains there forever to avoid another title taking the same ASIN.

Of course, if it's unpublished it's only there on your KDP bookshelf, not available for people to buy.

RE: On there forever? - Katherine Roberts - 24 Oct 2014 05:06 PM

(20 Oct 2014 11:08 AM)Jennie Lee Wrote: Wrote:  I have tried to unpublish a story on Amazon - and it remains there as a draft. There seems to be no way I can get it off Amazon completely.

I have one of those too - a short story collection I took down some time ago when I was planning to release the stories in a different way (which I still haven't done). It is no longer available to buy, and I tried to delete it but couldn't. I am not too worried about it being on my bookshelf, though - maybe I'll replace it with one of the planned books eventually. (We can change titles of published books as well as everything else, can't we?)

If I were amazon, I'd be more worried about all those books that don't sell a copy in a year, up there forever... I have one of those too (my dual language story). I am tempted to unpublish it, but it did sell a copy a couple of months ago... do you think amazon's algorithms punish your other books, if you have a really slow seller on your e-shelf? In the same way Nielsen bookscan kills authors' careers? Or am I just paranoid?Huh

RE: On there forever? - George Hamilton - 24 Oct 2014 08:52 PM

I think the eBooks remain there so that people who have already bought them can still access them, but they are not available to new buyers. I recall being told that an early version of one of my paperbacks that I unpublished still remained on Author Central as my book, because there is a second hand market in the paperbacks.