UK Kindle Users Forum
'Also Bought' Lists - A blessing and a curse! - Printable Version

+- UK Kindle Users Forum (http://www.kuforum.co.uk/kindleusersforum)
+-- Forum: Authors and Publishers (/forum-35.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (/forum-36.html)
+--- Thread: 'Also Bought' Lists - A blessing and a curse! (/thread-17093.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

'Also Bought' Lists - A blessing and a curse! - Stu Ayris - 01 Aug 2014 11:33 AM

Recently, my latest novel The Magical Tragical Life of Edward Jarvis Huggins began to sell in large quantities with no advertising or promotion. On checking out certain things, it seems that it had been added to the 'Also Bought' list of a romantic fiction author whose latest novel was in the top 20. A blessing you may think?!

Hah!

But when those people who purchased my book realised that it was not quite your normal romantic fiction novel, they responded with some less than romantic reviews...

I just wonder how a novel, set in 1744, that involves the following:

1. A man giving up alcohol by lying down in a field and rotating a thousand times
2. A man being brought back to life by his friends singing You Send Me by Sam Cook
3. A mule that is ever on the verge of talking
4. Not to mention a small boy who believes he is the re-incarnation of Jesus

fails to appeal to romantic fiction fans.

It's a strange old world... Whistle

RE: 'Also Bought' Lists - A blessing and a curse! - C.S.Bailey - 01 Aug 2014 01:30 PM

That's just silly, surely they would read the synopsis first! That's like ordering a mail order bride because a bunch of other people have, without looking at her picture and then complaining because you don't find her attractive... sort of Tongue

Well done on the increased sales though! Smile

RE: 'Also Bought' Lists - A blessing and a curse! - Mads Sorensen - 01 Aug 2014 04:56 PM

It's got to be a good thing. For every reader who didn't get what they thought they were getting there are probably several who liked book but would never have known about it had it not been for that 'Also Bought'. Every bit of exposure makes the book more discoverable.

In any case, a mixed star review collection usual sparks more interest than, say, ten straight five star.

RE: 'Also Bought' Lists - A blessing and a curse! - Lucas Bale - 01 Aug 2014 05:05 PM

(01 Aug 2014 04:56 PM)Mads Sorensen Wrote: Wrote:  It's got to be a good thing. For every reader who didn't get what they thought they were getting there are probably several who liked book but would never have known about it had it not been for that 'Also Bought'. Every bit of exposure makes the book more discoverable.

In any case, a mixed star review collection usual sparks more interest than, say, ten straight five star.
So I am led to believe, so I need some 4 star reviews on my book! It's curious to me though why that happens. 

As to alsobots, I've had some very strange placements lately, but they are quite useful for finding new books to take a look at - I find I like seeing other indies' work and the alsobots for me (both ways) tend to feature mostly indies and mostly of the right categories too. I think I'm going to have a play around with my categories now that I am consistently featuring in the rankings of one category - I think I can see what happens by mixing it up with the other.

RE: 'Also Bought' Lists - A blessing and a curse! - Ray Kingfisher - 01 Aug 2014 05:42 PM

Well done, Stu.

I agree with Mads. There must be quite a few buyers who wouldn't have bought it if it weren't for the 'Amazon prompt' but were pleasantly surprised. That's a good  thing regardless of a few 1* reviews - it's more people who will look at your other books. I'm starting to think negative reviews aren't too important (my own sales figures bear that out). Genre, exposure and moving up the ranks is more important.

In some ways a 'love it or hate it' book is more interesting to potential buyers. Perhaps you should get Amazon to create a new 'weird marmite' genre.

RE: 'Also Bought' Lists - A blessing and a curse! - alexroddie - 01 Aug 2014 05:45 PM

Interesting!

I don't think those low-star reviews will cause too much damage, because they are mainly just one-liners with little coherent argument or thought. I doubt an intelligent reader will make too much of them.

RE: 'Also Bought' Lists - A blessing and a curse! - Anna Faversham - 01 Aug 2014 06:39 PM

HiT has the same ranking in .com as yours does here, Stu, and I was so disappointed when the one and two stars showed up. Because it was on the .com site it also has comments picked out by Amazon saying it was boring. I managed to tell myself much the same as your Kuffer friends are telling you now and I think every word they've said is true.  My low stars followed a KCD.

I'm keeping a close eye on my new book's company in the Also Boughts and it's an improvement on HiT's which seemed to be swamped by half-dressed Highlanders.

Yes, a blessing and a curse but I think your blessings have far outweighed the curse of a few one liners and I return to the earlier plaudits you garnered - well done!

RE: 'Also Bought' Lists - A blessing and a curse! - Tim_A - 01 Aug 2014 06:42 PM

How did I miss this one Stu? Just read the sample, and it's utterly bonkers. So I bought it immediately!

RE: 'Also Bought' Lists - A blessing and a curse! - Rosen Trevithick - 01 Aug 2014 06:54 PM

Funny you should bring that up today because I'm currently also frustrated with 'Also Bought' algorithms.

The page for Monster Avengers (a book buy kids for kids) features 'Also bought: My Granny Writes Erotica 2 (The Second Quickie)'.

Same author DOES NOT mean same target audience!

Anyway Stu, I wouldn't worry about the critical reviews. They're an indicator that you work is reaching farther than your usual audience, which is a good thing.

'I found it heavy reading' might be appealing to some.

RE: 'Also Bought' Lists - A blessing and a curse! - Tim_A - 01 Aug 2014 08:09 PM

What happened to the 20 word minimum? Or did they drop it?