UK Kindle Users Forum
Can you recommend me some films? - Printable Version

+- UK Kindle Users Forum (http://www.kuforum.co.uk/kindleusersforum)
+-- Forum: LoveFilm Forum (/forum-161.html)
+--- Forum: LoveFilm - Movies, TV and Games (/forum-163.html)
+--- Thread: Can you recommend me some films? (/thread-16200.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Can you recommend me some films? - LexiRevellian - 02 Mar 2014 11:20 AM

I joined Amazon Prime before the price went up thinking I'd catch up with some films. As an impoverished single mother, I stopped going to the cinema in 1990 (apart from taking the offspring to Harry Potter).

So - what are the best films I've missed that might be available on Prime Instant Video?
              [Image: popcorn.gif]

RE: Can you recommend me some films? - Daphne - 02 Mar 2014 01:09 PM

Can you give us a clue as to what you like? Films I have watched at the cinema in recent years include:

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel Light, entertaining with some age-related humour.

Saving Mr Banks Quite gripping with some relevance to authors and how they feel about their books. Moving in places.

Contagion Not a brilliant film, but if you are into PA it gives a realistic scenario. You may want to wash your hands afterwards.

The Wolf of Wall Street Actually I didn’t really enjoy this – too much gratuitous sex in a repetitive way and all a bit seedy – but other have praised it, so perhaps have look at reviews and make your own mind up.

Captain Phillps Gripping action based on a true story. It really did have me on the edge of my seat. Pirates – but not Jack Sparrow.

RE: Can you recommend me some films? - LexiRevellian - 02 Mar 2014 01:17 PM

Thanks, Daphne. I have eclectic tastes. My favourite films are Witness, Terminator 2, Back to the Future, Pirates of the Caribbean, Casablanca, and Bachelor Mother.

I disliked Matrix, Mr and Mrs Smith, Inception and Billy Elliot.

Last night I watched Warm Bodies, and thought it had an engaging start but was a bit light.

RE: Can you recommend me some films? - Daphne - 02 Mar 2014 01:26 PM

I've just noticed that a couple on my list are not yet released on DVD - but Saving Mr Banks is worth waiting for and it sounds like it might appeal to you. There is also The Hobbit, but I thought it took too many liberties with the book and isn't in the same league as The Lord of the Rings trilogy, which was brilliant.
Happy watching.Smile

RE: Can you recommend me some films? - Daphne - 02 Mar 2014 01:39 PM

I just took a look at Prime Instant Video and they do have The Ghost which I enjoyed. Thriller with political theme.

RE: Can you recommend me some films? - cecilia_writer - 02 Mar 2014 01:42 PM

I think the last film I saw in the cinema was Lincoln - I really enjoyed it if that's any help.
More usually I just watch Independence Day and Day after Tomorrow when they're repeated on t.v.
(and Billy Eliot - sorry Lexi. And About a Boy)

RE: Can you recommend me some films? - Anna Faversham - 02 Mar 2014 03:31 PM

(02 Mar 2014 01:39 PM)Daphne Wrote: Wrote:  I just took a look at Prime Instant Video and they do have The Ghost which I enjoyed. Thriller with political theme.
Yes - a good choice.

RE: Can you recommend me some films? - LexiRevellian - 02 Mar 2014 03:46 PM

Thank you all - just seen this, as notifications didn't arrive (I'm just getting them about Ava's chair...)

I'm getting quite excited at the thought of all the good films waiting for me. The only one I've seen is About A Boy. I thought Hugh Grant excellent, but prefer the book which is one of my favourites.

RE: Can you recommend me some films? - Tim_A - 02 Mar 2014 06:35 PM

Have you read the novel of Warm Bodies? It's better than the film (although I enjoyed the movie).

I have a Cineworld Unlimited card, so see rather a lot of films at the cinema, some good, some bad. Here's a selection some of the better ones (IMHO) that I've seen over the last year or so, in order of release (the higher up the list, the more likely they are to have reached LoveFilm)

Salmon Fishing in the Yemen - Ewan McGregor & Emily Blunt romcom
Lawless - Dukes of Hazard but realistic
Dredd - Way better than the Stallone version. Lena Heady (Game of Thrones) brill as MaMa. Anderson was influential on my Dixon character
Anna - The Archers does Russia!
Hope Springs - Tommy Lee Jones & Meryl Streep get it on (ish)
The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Hermione does American in quirky coming of age drama
Ruby Sparks - Writer has magic typewriter; invents real girl
Silver Linings Playbook - JLaw's best actress gong. Best put-down of Hemingway ever.
Life of Pi -Like the book, but good
Jack Reacher - if you can get over Tom Cruise being too short, it's a good thriller
Les Miserables - Yes we know Russell Crowe can't sing. Get over it.
Django Unchained - Tarantino does what he does best
Zero Dark Thirty - I don't give many films a straight 10. Osama gets his.
Wreck It Ralph - Animated. Life inside a video game. Fun.
The Croods - Caveman animation.
The Great Gatsby - Stylish interpretation of F Scott Fitzgerald's novel
Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa - Normal For Norfolk!
Iron Man 3 - Tin Can action!
Despicable Me 2 - More minions!!!
Pacific Rim - Godzilla meets Transformers: not as bad as that sounds!
Riddick - 3rd instalment of the series, & just keeps getting better
White House Down - Same theme as Olympus has Fallen, but much better
How I Live Now - Saoirse Ronan fights for survival as war breaks out in the English countryside
The Fifth Estate - Docudrama about the guy behind WikiLeaks. Stars Benedict Cumberbach
Ender's Game - Kid is last hope to save the galaxy. With Harrison Ford
Philomena - Judi Dench searches for her lost son. Based on true story. With Steve Coogan
Gravity - Sandy Bullock and George Clooney do space

RE: Can you recommend me some films? - Scribbler - 02 Mar 2014 06:40 PM

The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, Mystic River, City of God, El Mariachi, The Pope of Greenwich Village, Angel Heart, Jamon Jamon, American History X, City of Lost Children, The Dark, blah blah blah....