UK Kindle Users Forum
Books recalled from Kindle - Printable Version

+- UK Kindle Users Forum (http://www.kuforum.co.uk/kindleusersforum)
+-- Forum: Kindle E-Ink Forums (/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Kindle Buzz (/forum-43.html)
+--- Thread: Books recalled from Kindle (/thread-15751.html)

Books recalled from Kindle - maxicchars - 02 Jan 2014 12:10 PM

I've heard that Amazon can recall books from a Kindle but do not understand how that can happen. Can someone enlighten me?
I always have my Kindle in airplane mode (to save battery) and download new content to it via USB using Calibre. Can Amazon really go in and delete books from my Calibre library? and then go via the USB cable and remove them from my Kindle?

RE: Books recalled from Kindle - l_macd - 02 Jan 2014 12:48 PM

If you never turn the wi-fi on and therefore don't connect & sync with the Amazon servers, then no, it is not possible for Amazon to remove any books from your device.

Technically, they can remove books from your cloud storage (books that you have bought from Amazon and are therefore stored on Amazon's servers) and when you connect to Amazon's server, your Kindle syncs with it and that is how a book could be removed. However, this has only ever happened on one occasion. Which was when Amazon mistakenly sold a version of the George Orwell book 1984 that they didn't actually have the rights for. So they refunded everyones money, and deleted the book from their server, consequently when people connected via wi-fi, the book disappeared from their Kindle. Amazon have since agreed they should have just taken the hit themselves for incorrectly selling the book and if something similar was to happen in future, they wouldn't delete the book.

The only time people will ever have any issue is if Amazon suspend a seller account or believe someone's account is linked to a previously blocked seller account. That still won't remove books from their Kindle, just access to the books in their Amazon account that aren't already downloaded to their Kindle.

RE: Books recalled from Kindle - alawston - 14 Jan 2014 03:20 PM

It was a particularly cruel irony that 1984 was the book affected by that incident...