UK Kindle Users Forum
Kindle and disability - Printable Version

+- UK Kindle Users Forum (http://www.kuforum.co.uk/kindleusersforum)
+-- Forum: Kindle E-Ink Forums (/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Kindle Buzz (/forum-43.html)
+--- Thread: Kindle and disability (/thread-1536.html)

Kindle and disability - mummycool1 - 22 Jan 2011 05:56 PM

Hi there me again!
One of the reasons I decided to go for a Kindle was because I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and it affects my hands, so I figured it would be easier to hold and the page turning would not be any effort for my fingers. The joy of the Kindle is that you dont even have to hold it, or hold open the pages, something that I was finding increasingly uncomfortable. I can lie on the sofa or in bed and just prop it up and press to turn the pages. Also of course there's no more carrying heavy books in my bag so my shoulders are also thankful. I can sit or lie whichever way is most comfy at any given time & just lean the Kindle again something.
I wanted to post this in case anyone in a similar situation is thinking along the same lines, if you are its definately the perfect solution!! Also I wondered if anyone else with disabilities have found it just as much a problem solver as I have?

RE: Kindle and disability - TheKindleWorm - 22 Jan 2011 06:37 PM

Hi yes I suffer from Carpal tunnel syndrome and my wrists and hands can often be sore. I do find the Kindle easier to hold - certainly not as heavy or bulky as a hardback book. And also turning pages is not so fiddly - with a paper book I would sometimes struggle to get a grip on the next page and turn it over.

When my hands are really bad and I'm desperate to read, I either listen to an audiobook or I use the Hands-Free method of reading on the Kindle:

http://www.kinworm.com/2010/09/hands-free-kindle-reading.html

RE: Kindle and disability - jillfisher23 - 23 Jan 2011 03:54 PM

Yes, I have carpel tunnel, too, and it is a problem to hold a book sometimes . The Kindle is much easier.Kindle Smile