UK Kindle Users Forum
Createspace offering free extended distribution - Printable Version

+- UK Kindle Users Forum (http://www.kuforum.co.uk/kindleusersforum)
+-- Forum: Authors and Publishers (/forum-35.html)
+--- Forum: Writing, Publishing and Marketing eBooks (/forum-94.html)
+---- Forum: General Publishing Discussion (/forum-97.html)
+---- Thread: Createspace offering free extended distribution (/thread-15349.html)

Pages: 1 2

Createspace offering free extended distribution - DavidHaynes - 13 Nov 2013 05:53 PM

I'm probably way behind the times (Im usually lagging behind somewhere) but when I looked at CreateSpace today there was a message telling me I could get free extended distribution. I don't remember how much they wanted to charge for this when I first signed up but I assume it cost something?

RE: Createspace offering free extended distribution - Rosen Trevithick - 13 Nov 2013 05:55 PM

Interesting. They used to charge $29.

The reasons I don't use extended distribution are:
1. You have to pay to upload revisions if you're enrolled in extended distribution.
2. It pushed the price of my book up to higher than I was happy to charge.

RE: Createspace offering free extended distribution - NilsAnd - 13 Nov 2013 07:53 PM

Agree completely with Rosen's points. In order to sign up for the extended distribution the price had to go up, which I think would be counterproductive. The sale of paper copies may not be astonishing, but there have been a few. Actually... this month paperback sales are winning. Funny things can happen when you talk about tiny numbers. 1 is greater than zero, two greater than 1 and so on...

RE: Createspace offering free extended distribution - Daphne - 13 Nov 2013 09:40 PM

(13 Nov 2013 05:55 PM)Rosen Trevithick Wrote: Wrote:  Interesting. They used to charge $29.

The reasons I don't use extended distribution are:
1. You have to pay to upload revisions if you're enrolled in extended distribution.

I'm probably missing the obvious, but I've made minor changes to a book on extended distribution without having to pay to do so. In what circumstances do they charge for uploading a revision?

RE: Createspace offering free extended distribution - Rosen Trevithick - 13 Nov 2013 10:34 PM

I can't find anywhere on CreateSpace itself that lists a fee for re-uploading, but it's referred to in many of their community threads, like this one:
https://www.createspace.com/en/community/thread/21555

However, I've heard lots of anecdotal evidence about people not getting charged, so maybe the rules have changed.

RE: Createspace offering free extended distribution - Daphne - 14 Nov 2013 08:16 AM

Following your link, Rosen, I’ve had a search around and there are a lot of references to the charge for making changes, which I think dates back to the days of Pro Plan – but at some point I think Amazon dropped it (although I don’t know when exactly) because I can’t find any reference to the charge for revisions now. It seems Amazon has progressively dropped any charges on CreateSpace. Back in the days of Pro Plan (which gave authors a higher royalty payment as well as the option of extended distribution) there was an annual charge, which I think was first waived, then dropped. Then Amazon gave the higher royalties to all authors, and now extended distribution is free to all. In fact I think that it is now possible to put a book up through CreateSpace without incurring any cost at all, unless someone wants to buy a proof copy (which used to be compulsory) or use one of CS’s professional services.
As far as sales through extended distribution go – just over a quarter of my paperback sales are outside Amazon, so it is worth it just to get to a slightly wider audience, although it is true that the book has to be priced a little higher to make the wider distribution possible. But the highest royalties come from sales made directly from CreateSpace eStore (which is standard distribution).

RE: Createspace offering free extended distribution - DavidHaynes - 14 Nov 2013 09:26 AM

Interesting responses, thank you. I've signed up for it as I only had to increase the US price by two dollars to come into line with the UK price on The Macabre Collection. I don't sell many paperbacks but I'm going to give this a go.

RE: Createspace offering free extended distribution - Rosen Trevithick - 14 Nov 2013 12:50 PM

Interesting. I'll take a look at my pricing.

RE: Createspace offering free extended distribution - Robert A Webster - 15 Nov 2013 09:13 AM

I tried createaspace several weeks ago.. They were charging $25 . I put 5 books through. They then gave it free and refunded my money, quite impressive. What drew me to them initially was that even at $25 it was cheaper than the others I found for paperback distribution. I have revised one already, which was also free. Plus you don't have to buy a copy and their digital previewer is pretty good. I have always concentrated on ebooks, but createspace do seem to want to make things easier for paperbacks. I understand that they are a business out to make money, but if we can produce and distribute a paperback free and sell one copy we are in profit.

RE: Createspace offering free extended distribution - nigel p bird - 15 Nov 2013 09:53 AM

I think it has to be worth it for free, though my experience of it at the $25 price is that it certainly wasn't! Then again, I'm not sure I did anything to help the process and maybe I should have been more proactive in some way.