UK Kindle Users Forum
Tomatoes - Printable Version

+- UK Kindle Users Forum (http://www.kuforum.co.uk/kindleusersforum)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (/forum-29.html)
+--- Forum: Gardener's Corner (/forum-56.html)
+--- Thread: Tomatoes (/thread-15022.html)

Pages: 1 2

Tomatoes - I ♥ my Kindle - 02 Oct 2013 05:00 PM

Each year I've tried to grow tom's, the rain and crap weather in general, has mostly scuppered my plans.
Last year I had some brown and green things growing on the stems (never went red at all),
the year before I had a few red ones, but again mostly green.
Today I took a whopping 34 green and slightly red tomatoes off the plant as I noticed about half of them were going brown Sad

But the good news is I have had loads of lovely red tomatoes too.
I've used a fair few already, but these are in the fridge Smile
[Image: DSC08009_zps0f1eec46.jpg]

RE: Tomatoes - Scribbler - 02 Oct 2013 05:43 PM

Delish. Big Grin

RE: Tomatoes - emilynemchick - 02 Oct 2013 05:46 PM

Wow, they look beautiful! My husband and I grew tomatoes in our shiny new roof garden for the first time ever this year, and they came out beautifully. I'd never have dared such a feat in rainy old England, though. Enjoy Smile

RE: Tomatoes - Paula Jane - 02 Oct 2013 07:02 PM

Well done! They look fantastic! It's been a good year for fruit all round. Today I've just made 12lb of damson jam and hubby is on the elderberry wine as we speak.  Wine1
All my toms that are green will be made into chutney at the weekend. Tongue  I love this time of year.

RE: Tomatoes - Tim_A - 02 Oct 2013 07:13 PM

I had 2 tomatoes off my 3 plants this year (50% better than last year's crop!) Partly my fault for getting them in late. But I also blame next door's *&^&ing cats for turning my nice poly greenhouse into "that shredded thing down the garden surrounded by cat sh*t".

RE: Tomatoes - Mads Sorensen - 02 Oct 2013 07:21 PM

My cucumbers, all outdoor, have been loving it this year. Some of the normal green ones have grown bigger than standard supermarket size. The lemon cucumbers have been doing even better and are still producing at a fair rate.

RE: Tomatoes - DavidHaynes - 02 Oct 2013 07:24 PM

(02 Oct 2013 07:13 PM)Tim_A Wrote: Wrote:  I had 2 tomatoes off my 3 plants this year (50% better than last year's crop!) Partly my fault for getting them in late. But I also blame next door's *&^&ing cats for turning my nice poly greenhouse into "that shredded thing down the garden surrounded by cat sh*t".
Haha! Sorry Tim but that amused me!

RE: Tomatoes - ElaineG - 03 Oct 2013 05:00 AM

We have the grand total of two water melons this year, for the first time ever. They are being sliced for breakfast Big Grin

RE: Tomatoes - B J Burton - 03 Oct 2013 09:37 AM

(02 Oct 2013 07:13 PM)Tim_A Wrote: Wrote:  I had 2 tomatoes off my 3 plants this year (50% better than last year's crop!) Partly my fault for getting them in late. But I also blame next door's *&^&ing cats for turning my nice poly greenhouse into "that shredded thing down the garden surrounded by cat sh*t".
I sympathise. Cats are the bane of my gardening life. Ten cats regularly visit my garden and they come for two reasons - to kill birds and to dump loads of excrement, digging holes in the process.
We now have dog wardens patrolling the streets and substantial fines for dog owners who do not 'pick up'. Surely it can't be long before cats are legally controlled. A big cat dumps as much as a small dog.
I don't care what pets people have, but I do think they should keep their pets on their own property or take them out only on leads.

RE: Tomatoes - Tim_A - 03 Oct 2013 10:16 AM

I'm seriously considering ways to relocate "cat product" back to the relevant owners...