UK Kindle Users Forum
Bookclub: Suggestions for the book to read during August - Printable Version

+- UK Kindle Users Forum (http://www.kuforum.co.uk/kindleusersforum)
+-- Forum: eBooks, Books and Audio Books Forum (/forum-13.html)
+--- Forum: Book Club (/forum-44.html)
+--- Thread: Bookclub: Suggestions for the book to read during August (/thread-14151.html)

Pages: 1 2

Bookclub: Suggestions for the book to read during August - joo - 02 Jul 2013 05:44 PM

Please list your suggestions for the book to read during August 2013. Books that have been nominated before, but didn't win, can be re-nominated.

Suggestions will be taken until 21 July, or as soon as we reach 10 suggestions, whichever is the earliest. A second thread will be posted with a poll for voting on your book choice. The winning title will become our Book for August. We have room for 10 books on the poll.

On 14 August 2013, the book's thread will be opened and the discussion will begin.

Please keep cost in mind when suggesting books. Try to keep suggestions under £3.

Please tell us:

•Book Title
•Name of Author
•Link
•Price range
Why you are recommending the book

Please note that suggestions and the voting on books in the KUF Bookclub is open to active KUF members only.

RE: Bookclub: Suggestions for the book to read during August - Kath Middleton - 02 Jul 2013 06:01 PM

I don't suppose Joo will be surprised by my suggestion of Black by Rose by Andrew Barrett.  It's recently published at £1.99.  It features some characters from an earlier work but can be read as a stand alone.  It's a crime/thriller book and is both grippingly down to earth and sublime in its expressive writing.  I'm reading it now for the third time and still finding gems in there.  There's tough, no-nonsense dialogue, some emotional and thought inducing passages, quite a lot of dark humour and of course, the forensic stuff is accurate and convincing.  This is definitely my book of the year.

RE: Bookclub: Suggestions for the book to read during August - Jonathan Hill - 02 Jul 2013 06:50 PM

I second Ignite's suggestion!

RE: Bookclub: Suggestions for the book to read during August - joo - 02 Jul 2013 09:22 PM

The way the book club's been going recently, we don't need seconding. Any nomination will go forward.
We just need people to read the darned things TongueBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin

RE: Bookclub: Suggestions for the book to read during August - TechnoHippy - 02 Jul 2013 09:32 PM

Well if we had any already on my TBR I'd be happy to join in :-)

RE: Bookclub: Suggestions for the book to read during August - cecilia_writer - 03 Jul 2013 08:20 AM

I am still interested in The Time Machine - in fact I have it on my Kindle waiting to be read.

RE: Bookclub: Suggestions for the book to read during August - sujay - 13 Jul 2013 08:57 AM

Come on everyone, we need some more suggestions for the August read. 

I am going to suggest Steve Robinson's brilliant book The Last Queen of England. Like all of Steve's books I loved this one from beginning to end. It is a brilliant page turner and follows on from the previous Jefferson Tate books, but you can also read it as a standalone as well. At £2.49 it is a bargain and I think would make an ideal book club choice. Smile

RE: Bookclub: Suggestions for the book to read during August - Mads Sorensen - 13 Jul 2013 11:17 AM

I suggest a short story collection, Fine Just The Way It Is by Annie Proulx. She's one of the finest contemporary authors in my opinion. If ever manage to write half as well as her, I'll die happy.

RE: Bookclub: Suggestions for the book to read during August - B J Burton - 13 Jul 2013 01:55 PM

Here's a good book for summer: Hamlyn Colour Cookbook 200 Cocktails. Kindle edition £2.49.
No need to wait for us all to read it - we can start sampling and recommending as soon as August starts (if not before!).

RE: Bookclub: Suggestions for the book to read during August - darrenhf - 18 Jul 2013 10:43 AM

I'd like to suggest Stephen King 's The Shining in preparation for the release of his follow up, but I don't know how to put the links up and it's probably a bit pricey now.