UK Kindle Users Forum
New Cover for Matchbox Memories - help! - Printable Version

+- UK Kindle Users Forum (http://www.kuforum.co.uk/kindleusersforum)
+-- Forum: Authors and Publishers (/forum-35.html)
+--- Forum: Writing, Publishing and Marketing eBooks (/forum-94.html)
+--- Thread: New Cover for Matchbox Memories - help! (/thread-13787.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: New Cover for Matchbox Memories - help! - lyndawrites - 28 May 2013 05:16 PM

Sorry, Ray. I got everything wrong in my last post, didn't I? Big Grin

I actually meant E (I'm mathematically challenged as well)!. Bottom right, with the moon (I hope it's a moon or have I got that wrong, too?) and the houses. That's the one that intrigues me and draws me in to know more.

RE: New Cover for Matchbox Memories - help! - davidwailing - 28 May 2013 05:47 PM

My vote is for A. It's the simplest and clearest, and the one that will look best at small sizes and low resolutions. It's also very evocative - the single gravestone feels like it could tell a story. The other covers all look far too murky and indistinct for me.

My other thoughts are:

The title would be more effective if moved to the top, with 'A dark comic mystery' beneath.

The slanted 'o' looks like a formatting mistake. Unless one or more other letters were also italicised.

RE: New Cover for Matchbox Memories - help! - Jonathan Hill - 28 May 2013 06:04 PM

I pick A. Nice and effective AND simply because it is different from SBL. The other covers are dark like SBL and you might want something more different.

But that slanting 'o'???

RE: New Cover for Matchbox Memories - help! - DavidHaynes - 28 May 2013 06:18 PM

A for me too R.K.

RE: New Cover for Matchbox Memories - help! - joo - 28 May 2013 06:26 PM

I like the O. Especially if it is matched with the missing one Big Grin

RE: New Cover for Matchbox Memories - help! - Ray Kingfisher - 28 May 2013 07:18 PM

(28 May 2013 05:16 PM)lyndawrites Wrote: Wrote:  Sorry, Ray. I got everything wrong in my last post, didn't I? Big Grin

I actually meant E (I'm mathematically challenged as well)!. Bottom right, with the moon (I hope it's a moon or have I got that wrong, too?) and the houses. That's the one that intrigues me and draws me in to know more.

Sorry Linda, you have got it wrong! (sort of - but I suppose it looks like whatever it looks like).

It's actually a lit Tilley lamp.

This is odd, I'd provisionally selected B,C,D as my favourites! A seemed too sparse and didn't fit the story, E looked too cluttered and indistinct to me. And readers think it's a dark story.

Still thinking (i.e. undecided),

Thanks to everyone.

RK.

RE: New Cover for Matchbox Memories - help! - Tim_A - 28 May 2013 10:05 PM

I like D. That's the one that I would pick up from a bookshop table. It's simple, it's bold, it's effective.

A, for me is cold and uninviting. Yes I like the slanted O, but maybe it would work better on an even plainer background.

B and C are just too fussy and cluttered. The typeface is awful, which makes them look almost homemade, particularly C. (that goes for E too)

E could work with a better title font, but I'm not entirely sure about the superimposed figure. And the picture of the church doesn't look straight. (which would bug me)

None of them though suggest "comic" to me (per the tag line)., and A is definitely the furthest away from comic.

RE: New Cover for Matchbox Memories - help! - skate - 28 May 2013 11:18 PM

D for me, too. It's a clear image and clear title and makes me wonder what it's about. A is too pale for me and in thumbnail would just blur to a shape on a faded background.

RE: New Cover for Matchbox Memories - help! - Ray Kingfisher - 29 May 2013 08:13 AM

(28 May 2013 10:05 PM)Tim_A Wrote: Wrote:  I like D. That's the one that I would pick up from a bookshop table. It's simple, it's bold, it's effective.

A, for me is cold and uninviting. Yes I like the slanted O, but maybe it would work better on an even plainer background.

B and C are just too fussy and cluttered. The typeface is awful, which makes them look almost homemade, particularly C. (that goes for E too)

E could work with a better title font, but I'm not entirely sure about the superimposed figure. And the picture of the church doesn't look straight. (which would bug me)

None of them though suggest "comic" to me (per the tag line)., and A is definitely the furthest away from comic.

Thanks Tim/&Skate. The comic thing is difficult. People who have read it say it's a dark/warm mystery with a comic element rather than an out and out comedy.

You make a good argument for D. It's between that and A I think..

The only consensus seems to be nobody likes my favourite, which was B!

RK

RE: New Cover for Matchbox Memories - help! - Kath Middleton - 29 May 2013 08:51 AM

Yes, it's not a comedy, which perhaps the word 'comic' implies. It's got a sort of caring humour about it. I loved it! (A) <-- just reiterating there!