UK Kindle Users Forum
advice on Smashwords wanted. - Printable Version

+- UK Kindle Users Forum (http://www.kuforum.co.uk/kindleusersforum)
+-- Forum: Authors and Publishers (/forum-35.html)
+--- Forum: Writing, Publishing and Marketing eBooks (/forum-94.html)
+--- Thread: advice on Smashwords wanted. (/thread-13455.html)

Pages: 1 2

advice on Smashwords wanted. - navlogan - 27 Apr 2013 05:21 PM

So its now three days until my KDP contract runs out and i am released from the Amazon contract, (i think).
 I have my novel redrafted and nuked ready for the dreaded Meatgrinder, so i thought this would be a good time to ask the question...
Has anyone got any last minute words of advice.... tips for success...even a dying man's last meal perhaps, before i face the music and sign up for Smashwords?

Many thanks
Nav

RE: advice on Smashwords wanted. - Mads Sorensen - 27 Apr 2013 05:46 PM

I have only positive experience with Smashwords, went through the Maetgrinder at the first attempt. The trick is to make the formatting as simple as possible (no tabs, for instance).

Expect most of the direct sales on the Smashwords site to be in the beginning. I have sold reasonably well on iTunes, though that has tailed off, but very little in any of the other stores. The real advantage is that your book is on sale in most countries in the world. I've certainly had a few sales in some pretty strange places.

RE: advice on Smashwords wanted. - navlogan - 27 Apr 2013 07:59 PM

(27 Apr 2013 05:46 PM)Mads Sorensen Wrote: Wrote:  I have only positive experience with Smashwords, went through the Maetgrinder at the first attempt. The trick is to make the formatting as simple as possible (no tabs, for instance).

Expect most of the direct sales on the Smashwords site to be in the beginning. I have sold reasonably well on iTunes, though that has tailed off, but very little in any of the other stores. The real advantage is that your book is on sale in most countries in the world. I've certainly had a few sales in some pretty strange places.

Thanks for that, Mads
Nav

RE: advice on Smashwords wanted. - George - 28 Apr 2013 10:12 AM

On average it takes me about three attempts to get my book past the meat grinder, and I think the advice you have been given is good. Keep it simple and make sure all tabs and uneeded spaces are removed. My sales on Smashwords are ony about a third of those I enjoy on Amazon, but it is well worth the eff0rt.

RE: advice on Smashwords wanted. - navlogan - 28 Apr 2013 10:55 AM

(28 Apr 2013 10:12 AM)George Wrote: Wrote:  On average it takes me about three attempts to get my book past the meat grinder, and I think the advice you have been given is good. Keep it simple and make sure all tabs and uneeded spaces are removed. My sales on Smashwords are only about a third of those I enjoy on Amazon, but it is well worth the eff0rt.

Thanks George. I'll find out soon enough. The guide is pretty good, though a little confusing when it comes to the ToC's but as i have all my chapters starting with 'Chapter' i hope the meatgrinder will do its auto-thing. I removed the Word chapter links just in case.
Nav

RE: advice on Smashwords wanted. - skate - 28 Apr 2013 02:28 PM

I was hoping the same on my children's book. All my Chapters began with Chapter, too. But as far as I can tell, there's no index at all.
The only advice I'd give is to make sure that NONE of your fonts are bigger than 14. Not even your title.

RE: advice on Smashwords wanted. - Nick Wastnage - 28 Apr 2013 05:22 PM

The only other thing I'd add to all the other useful comments, is don't have any hyperlinks that link to amazon. If it's being distributed to the other retailers like Apple, Sony, etc, the meatgrinder rejects it. Apart from that, I've found the meatgrinder okay providing you follow the style guide.

RE: advice on Smashwords wanted. - navlogan - 28 Apr 2013 05:51 PM

Thanks for all the advice. The only hyperlink i have included is to my dedicated Facebook page for the book, so that's ok,
Fonts size is also within criteria, with 12 for body text and 14 for headings.
I've reduced all unnecessary tabbing but drew the line at first line indents.
My book has a lot of dialogue in it, and it wrecked my head to see it all bounce to the right, so i opted for 0.6 line spacing after the paragraph rather than line indent, despite it being a fiction story. I replaced the reformatted version onto mobi, changing it to kindle edition rather than Smashwords Version, and that went through okay on Kindle, so touch wood.

RE: advice on Smashwords wanted. - Nick Wastnage - 29 Apr 2013 08:04 AM

That sounds okay, although Kindle is less picky than Smashwords. On Smashwords I went for .5 indents after each para and that was okay, but the thing I got rejected for once, at the beginning, was that I had varying indents, i.e. I had no indents for the the first line of new chapters and then .5 after paragraph indents. Meatgrinder threw it out, saying I was inconsistence. So watch that. although I'm sure you've got it covered. Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine.

RE: advice on Smashwords wanted. - Tim_A - 29 Apr 2013 11:34 AM

And yet that is a pretty standard way of book formatting - no indent for the first line of a scene or chapter and 1/2" or 1/4" for body paragraphs. (a quick survey of my bookshelf: out of the 12 books that I picked at random *every* one was formatted that way.) I'm surprised they don't allow it.