UK Kindle Users Forum
One Star Reviews - Printable Version

+- UK Kindle Users Forum (http://www.kuforum.co.uk/kindleusersforum)
+-- Forum: Authors and Publishers (/forum-35.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (/forum-36.html)
+--- Thread: One Star Reviews (/thread-13247.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: One Star Reviews - Jonathan Hill - 12 Apr 2013 07:50 PM

I have a vision of Maureen somehow causing a whole city of buildings to collapse in a domino effect and then turning to the camera and saying 'no harm done'!

RE: One Star Reviews - joo - 12 Apr 2013 08:17 PM

David, if you read the next Maureen book and she says "no harm done" you take that Hill bloke to court and sue him for nicking your ideas.

RE: One Star Reviews - Jonathan Hill - 12 Apr 2013 09:41 PM

(12 Apr 2013 08:17 PM)joo Wrote: Wrote:  David, if you read the next Maureen book and she says "no harm done" you take that Hill bloke to court and sue him for nicking your ideas.
Haha, I wouldn't dare.  David might set my auto against me!

RE: One Star Reviews - groovydaz41 - 14 Apr 2013 12:42 PM

(07 Apr 2013 10:20 AM)Mads Sorensen Wrote: Wrote:  Just received this  morning. I believe it's a rite of passage. Trying to laugh and bear it. Not easy.

Absolutely ridiculous plot with equally ridiculous characters. So poorly written, I had to keep going back to see if I had missed a chapter. It was almost as if some chapters had been missed out of the book. Not worth opening.

The reviewer has written only one other, similar review.
It's gutting when someone puts down your hard work. I think, perhaps, we all feel better when we feel the review is balanced and they are being honest and just didn't like it.
The above doesn't tell you enough to decide if he was being spiteful or genuine.

RE: One Star Reviews - Katherine Roberts - 14 Apr 2013 03:25 PM

(10 Apr 2013 11:23 PM)Jennie Lee Wrote: Wrote:  By the way, Katherine, many gushing 5 star reviews come from perfect strangers--and I mean perfect! Confused IMO.

(11 Apr 2013 02:40 AM)Dorte Hummelshoj Wrote: Wrote:  I'm glad I'm not the only one who has experienced this, Jennie. My family wouldn't dream of reviewing my books (if they deign to read them, that is Wink ), and my friends are mainly of the extremely conscientious, academic sort who never give books more than four stars. So most of my gushing reviews are definitely also honest in the way that they are from people I have no idea who are. So I have grown a bit tired of the assumption that they are rarely genuine.

Ah, sorry Jennie and Dorte! I didn't mean to imply "most" 5 star reviews are written by family and friends, certainly not yours - just that some are (and usually it's obvious if they are, I think?) Fans gush too. I have a book with quite a few 5 star reviews and only know one of the reviewers (ok, so that one was by a friend, so I'm guilty). I'm actually amazed my books get any reviews at all, since younger readers don't often leave them, and my mum is not online... I'm saving up to buy her a Kindle, though, so maybe one day! Reading Kindle

RE: One Star Reviews - Dorte Hummelshoj - 14 Apr 2013 09:20 PM

Don't worry, I didn't think you meant it personally Smile

RE: One Star Reviews - Jennie Lee - 14 Apr 2013 10:11 PM

I didn't take it personally either, Katherine Smile

RE: One Star Reviews - Katherine Roberts - 15 Apr 2013 12:31 PM

Thanks Dorte and Jennie, I guess it's all too easy to be cynical about these things after experiencing the publishing industry for a while. I'd been trad-published for seven years before I realised my publishers had to pay to get their books on tables and into windows of book shops ("book bungs") - ever since I found that out, I tend to believe in these conspiracy theories! Also, I've just been reading an article in The Author magazine about reviewing, which claims some companies are offering authors and publishers favourable reviews for a fixed fee... this sounds a similar practice to the book bungs, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's true. But I do think in the long term reviews balance out, as more people read the book and leave genuine ones.

RE: One Star Reviews - Chris Barraclough - 15 Apr 2013 02:43 PM

One-star reviewers have been quiet for me recently, must be on their Spring break. But I did just get this fantastic 3-star review from an American chap who bought my mystery book 'Bat Boy' (about a blind kid searching for his long-last father):

"Thought this was a baseball story, but keep reading, and reading until I finished reading the entire book. Not too bad."

Made me LOL, that one. Maybe I'll put a subtitle on it: "Not a baseball story"

RE: One Star Reviews - Rosen Trevithick - 15 Apr 2013 03:34 PM

Why do people review books they haven't read?
Someone once reviewed The Troll Trap, a book about trolls, trolls and more trolls, yet she kept referring to 'the troll'.
It was otherwise a lovely review, but it did feel like she might have extrapolated a whole book from its prologue.
She then asked me to review her book, so I think I've answered my own question.