UK Kindle Users Forum
One Star Reviews - Printable Version

+- UK Kindle Users Forum (http://www.kuforum.co.uk/kindleusersforum)
+-- Forum: Authors and Publishers (/forum-35.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (/forum-36.html)
+--- Thread: One Star Reviews (/thread-13247.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: One Star Reviews - B J Burton - 08 Apr 2013 03:58 PM

One star reviews do provide a feast of entertainment, even if they make me fear for the future of the human race.

RE: One Star Reviews - Katherine Roberts - 08 Apr 2013 04:26 PM

(07 Apr 2013 11:12 AM)cecilia_writer Wrote: Wrote:  I think being able to get over them is something you just have to do - bad reviews are an occupational hazard for anyone who puts something creative out there.
Agreed! It's very easy to criticise, much harder to create something, and even harder to have the courage to put it out there for other people to read.

I don't think one-star reviews are restricted to indie writers - every author gets bad reviews sometimes, and usually a one star review is a sign that your book is "breaking out" (i.e reaching readers outside its genre) so it's a good sign not a bad one - as long as you have some good reviews to balance it, of course! If you look at all the really great books, they have their share of haters as well as people who love them to death.

I actually think the worst thing is to have a pile of 3 star reviews... who wants to be "average"? Though I suspect that's the kind of book publishers are more likely to commission (being safer).

RE: One Star Reviews - Mads Sorensen - 08 Apr 2013 04:48 PM

(08 Apr 2013 11:28 AM)B J Burton Wrote: Wrote:  We all put so much into our books that it's very hard not to feel an emotional response to reviews, good or bad.
When someone attacks our work and posts their comments on the internet for the whole world to see, then it has to hurt. But what actually matters are the sales, not the reviews - and I've come to believe that most book reviews on Amazon have absolutely no effect on sales. Purchasers/readers have got wise to how the system works.
Looking at your reviews, Mads, I'd bet that the only one that will have any effect is Ignite's. The other positive ones have been posted by people who haven't reviewed any other books and, whether it's true or not, they will be dismissed as coming from friends/supporters. The one star poster will also be ignored.
Don't worry about it. Keep plugging away. Get the book mentioned wherever you can  - and write some more good books as that is what will make you successful.

Thanks.

I agree that the review from Ignite is the one that counts, and it's the first you see in the review section.

In a roundabout way, I think rubbish reviews, or widely varying reviwes, might pique some readers's interest more than ten straight five star reviews, because no book is that good in everyone's opinion).

RE: One Star Reviews - Grace Elliot - 08 Apr 2013 09:41 PM

1 star reviews are a rite of passage.
They hurt, but you also have the satisfaction of labelling the reviewer as a complete wacko and knowing you are right and they are wrong!

RE: One Star Reviews - Jennie Lee - 09 Apr 2013 12:36 AM

Someone has just borrowed my collection of five flash fiction stories so I'm expecting another one star review saying they were too short. Undecided  I agree that it's a waste of a borrow since they are permitted only one per month but I state clearly in the blurb that they are flash fiction and it's more than obvious on the Contents page in Look Inside.  I'm not being overly pessimistic -- this has happened before.

RE: One Star Reviews - Ken Magee - 09 Apr 2013 07:40 AM

(09 Apr 2013 12:36 AM)Jennie Lee Wrote: Wrote:  Someone has just borrowed my collection of five flash fiction stories so I'm expecting another one star review saying they were too short. Undecided  I agree that it's a waste of a borrow since they are permitted only one per month but I state clearly in the blurb that they are flash fiction and it's more than obvious on the Contents page in Look Inside.  I'm not being overly pessimistic -- this has happened before.
Maybe they're a flash fiction addict & you'll get an unexpected 5*... some people do actually read the descriptions we write!

RE: One Star Reviews - Jennie Lee - 09 Apr 2013 08:16 AM

(09 Apr 2013 07:40 AM)Ken Magee Wrote: Wrote:  
(09 Apr 2013 12:36 AM)Jennie Lee Wrote: Wrote:  Someone has just borrowed my collection of five flash fiction stories so I'm expecting another one star review saying they were too short. Undecided  I agree that it's a waste of a borrow since they are permitted only one per month but I state clearly in the blurb that they are flash fiction and it's more than obvious on the Contents page in Look Inside.  I'm not being overly pessimistic -- this has happened before.
Maybe they're a flash fiction addict & you'll get an unexpected 5*... some people do actually read the descriptions we write!

Thanks, Ken!   My sense of optimism is restored Smile

RE: One Star Reviews - Chris Barraclough - 09 Apr 2013 04:31 PM

(08 Apr 2013 03:14 PM)davidwailing Wrote: Wrote:  My 'favourite' one star review:

1 star - I accidentally bought this, 11 Mar 2013
By Jim Bentley
This review is from: Friend Request (Auto series) (Kindle Edition)
Can I have my money back, I've never read it and it's on my kindle and it's not really my thing.

Yes, really! http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R2OEVP78UJHRZF/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0094WIX3Q
Haha, god bless the human race. Shame he didn't read it cos he seems happy to dish out 5-star reviews otherwise - although he might have rather eclectic tastes. One of his reviews is entitled, 'Come for the Alien Sex, stay for the whipping gods' ???

RE: One Star Reviews - Grace Elliot - 09 Apr 2013 05:59 PM

On a different note, isnt it great how supportive everyone is?
Also, reading the thread from start to finish it's amazing how balanced and accepting eveyrone is. Perhaps we should form a government?

RE: One Star Reviews - Jonathan Hill - 09 Apr 2013 07:42 PM

Yes, Grace, it's one of the reasons I love this place.  I wonder how many indie authors working in solitary confinement without the advice and support of fellow authors  would actually carry on in the face of adversity?