UK Kindle Users Forum
One Star Reviews - Printable Version

+- UK Kindle Users Forum (http://www.kuforum.co.uk/kindleusersforum)
+-- Forum: Authors and Publishers (/forum-35.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (/forum-36.html)
+--- Thread: One Star Reviews (/thread-13247.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: One Star Reviews - Chris Barraclough - 08 Apr 2013 11:42 AM

Yeah, very true about the reviews vs sales - I think most readers go off the blurb rather than the reviews, and probably are more likely to be swayed by the first few pages in the 'click to see inside' tool if they're undecided.

And posting a full review based on a couple of chapters is ridiculous - if something's not for you, I don't see the point in trying to put off other people who might actually enjoy it. Of course, the internet is basically one massive venting/rage outlet these days Smile

RE: One Star Reviews - Ray Kingfisher - 08 Apr 2013 12:04 PM

Apparently 0 out of 5 people thought the review helpful. Can't think how that happened.

I can't add much to what everyone else has said, Mads, it's part of the game. I'm sick of getting poor reviews for short stories that say it's too short - when it says on the cover (actually, stuffed into the title) it's a short story, it gives a word count, a page count. And it's FREE! I mean, Whaddayaexpect, you want me to write 'The Stand' then ME to PAY you to read it!! Aaaeeeeughghh!!!

Ahem, sorry, got carried away a bit there.

Anyway, I've come to the conclusion that potential readers look at the whole profile (as they should) and the number of reviews - possibly being suspicious of books with only a few five star reviews.
So take it on the chin and accept it adds an air of authenticity. If it's good enough, the good reviews will come in time and you'll forget the poor ones.
RK

RE: One Star Reviews - nicola.palmer - 08 Apr 2013 12:45 PM

I always think that if a review is insulting, it's not worth worrying about.  I've no problem with critical reviews, and I appreciate it when the reasons are explained.  But if it sounds more like a rant than a review, I tend to ignore it!

Ray, I do agree with your rant, though!  I wish people would read the title and the blurb before they download or comment.  I've had one or two very clever readers inform me what age group a book is for, when it's clearly stated in the blurb. Tongue

RE: One Star Reviews - skate - 08 Apr 2013 01:47 PM

I had a one star review from a reviewer who admitted only reading about a third of the book. But her reason for the one star was that she was disappointed in the book, having read and enjoyed on of my others. So I didn't really mind that she hadn't finished it. I think she might have ended up liking it better if she'd read on, but then again, maybe she would have given me half a star? 
Actually, I preferred her comment about not finishing to that of the two star reviewer who complained about how many attempts she'd had to make to finish it. I had to wonder why she had bothered! I came to the conclusion that it was just so that she could enjoy herself writing a really scathing review!

RE: One Star Reviews - LindaGruchy - 08 Apr 2013 01:48 PM

That's true, Nicola. I worry more about 2 star and 3 star reviews because they're not liklely to be malicious and genuinely have a point.

Well, usually they do. I do dislike the reviews where someone has discovered that a book is a short story AFTER downloading when it says so in the blurb.

I also think there is a cohort of people out there who deliberately target Indies.

RE: One Star Reviews - Kath Middleton - 08 Apr 2013 01:55 PM

There's another cohort who choose to read indies for preference too!

RE: One Star Reviews - Stu Ayris - 08 Apr 2013 02:56 PM

(08 Apr 2013 01:55 PM)Ignite Wrote:  There's another cohort who choose to read indies for preference too!

Well said that woman! Now haven't you got a book to look over...? ; )

RE: One Star Reviews - Kath Middleton - 08 Apr 2013 03:06 PM

I shall be starting it after tea!

RE: One Star Reviews - davidwailing - 08 Apr 2013 03:14 PM

My 'favourite' one star review:

1 star - I accidentally bought this, 11 Mar 2013
By Jim Bentley
This review is from: Friend Request (Auto series) (Kindle Edition)
Can I have my money back, I've never read it and it's on my kindle and it's not really my thing.

Yes, really! http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R2OEVP78UJHRZF/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0094WIX3Q

RE: One Star Reviews - DavidHaynes - 08 Apr 2013 03:21 PM

(08 Apr 2013 03:14 PM)davidwailing Wrote: Wrote:  My 'favourite' one star review:

1 star - I accidentally bought this, 11 Mar 2013
By Jim Bentley
This review is from: Friend Request (Auto series) (Kindle Edition)
Can I have my money back, I've never read it and it's on my kindle and it's not really my thing.

Yes, really! http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R2OEVP78UJHRZF/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0094WIX3Q
That's incredible David!