UK Kindle Users Forum
One Star Reviews - Printable Version

+- UK Kindle Users Forum (http://www.kuforum.co.uk/kindleusersforum)
+-- Forum: Authors and Publishers (/forum-35.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (/forum-36.html)
+--- Thread: One Star Reviews (/thread-13247.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: One Star Reviews - TechnoHippy - 26 Aug 2013 10:13 AM

(26 Aug 2013 09:40 AM)Jennie Lee Wrote: Wrote:  
(26 Aug 2013 09:16 AM)TechnoHippy Wrote: Wrote:  I've just received my first 1 star rating over on Goodreads :-(
Goodreads raters aren't as generous as Amazon ones and some use the system as their personal journal to keep track of where they are with their books.  I once read that a reader marks all the books she's planning on reading soon as 1 star.  Was there a review to go with the rating?

Unfortunately so:

"I really wish I could give this book a higher rating, but I just don't feel like I can. I won it through Library Thing and was looking forward to seeing the work of a young writer. The ideas behind the stories are great, but the stories themselves feel incomplete and bare-bones. They follow a this happened, then this happened, then this happened structure, and don't sink into the individual moments in a way that would let the reader feel as if he/she were living them. If you like quick, stripped-down horror stories, you may like this book. If you're more interested in extended reading experiences, it probably won't offer enough to satisfy you."

She didn't like it which was fair enough. I think it's a bit harsh, but horses for courses and all that. If it was my only review I'd be more concerned :-)

RE: One Star Reviews - TechnoHippy - 26 Aug 2013 10:14 AM

Although I don't mind being referred to as a 'young writer' :-) Every silver lining has a cloud and all that :-)

RE: One Star Reviews - Kath Middleton - 26 Aug 2013 10:29 AM

I though 'quick, stripped down...' was the point of short stories. *puzzlement*

RE: One Star Reviews - TechnoHippy - 26 Aug 2013 10:49 AM

I won't be sending her any drabbles for review that's for sure :-)

RE: One Star Reviews - Jonathan Hill - 26 Aug 2013 10:53 AM

1* reviews are incredibly harsh and, in my opinion, often uncalled for, but I wouldn't worry, Michael. Bad reviews won't have as much impact on Goodreads as they will on Amazon. 'Maureen goes to Venice' recently was rated 1* on Amazon, the reader complaining it was so short (despite the fact my blurb states it is a novella of around 13,500 words)!

RE: One Star Reviews - Dorte Hummelshoj - 26 Aug 2013 11:20 AM

As I know Goodreviews reviews are often incredibly harsh, I rarely check my reviews there. We can't change them anyway so no need to have these blue moments Wink

And I think most readers will be able to see that this reviewer is very demanding. I'd NEVER give one star for stories which "are great". What she writes points towards a two or three-star review in my opinion.

RE: One Star Reviews - Ray Kingfisher - 26 Aug 2013 12:22 PM

Giving a 1* review to any book that's well-written grammar-wise, with no typos, and has some sort of plot/characterisation is pretty harsh.

And like Jonathan, I tire of being marked down for the length of a story - especially when it has a page count, a word count, and they didn't pay for the damn thing.

I'm feeling particularly sensitive about this issue because Easy Money got its first (and hopefully last) 1* yesterday.

And regarding 'quick, stripped-down horror stories', one of the things I dislike about Stephen King and many other well-known writers is the self-indulgence of spending five pages describing the colour of someone's shoes (well, you know what I mean). But to me that's only a minor aspect of a story - I can always skim it, just as I can always imagine the colour of someone's shoes if I really want to.

RE: One Star Reviews - Kath Middleton - 26 Aug 2013 12:25 PM

Many Amazon and Goodreads reviewers are the same people. I put my reviews on both. I'm no harsher in one place than I am in the other!

RE: One Star Reviews - Jonathan Hill - 26 Aug 2013 12:39 PM

Sorry to hear about your 1 star, Ray. Good on you for your reply though. I completely stopped replying to reviews on Amazon (I may try to contact and thank the reviewer personally though) after a polite reply from me led to a particularly nasty and upsetting reply. Thankfully, all comments were subsequently removed.

RE: One Star Reviews - Ray Kingfisher - 26 Aug 2013 12:57 PM

(26 Aug 2013 12:39 PM)Jonathan Hill Wrote: Wrote:  Sorry to hear about your 1 star, Ray.  Good on you for your reply though.  I completely stopped replying to reviews on Amazon (I may try to contact and thank the reviewer personally though) after a polite reply from me led to a particularly nasty and upsetting reply.  Thankfully, all comments were subsequently removed.

Thanks, Jonathan. I'll bear that in mind. I can understand a nasty re-reply if the author starts a spat by posting a nasty reply - but haven't heard of that happening when the author leaves a polite 'thanks but sorry'.

It just vindicates my position that people leaving 1* reviews for books that have at least some redeeming features are often unreasonable sorts.

As an aside, I know some of Kerry Wilkinson's replies to reviews were a bit provocative - and it didn't seem to do him any harm.