UK Kindle Users Forum
How do you sort yours....? - Printable Version

+- UK Kindle Users Forum (http://www.kuforum.co.uk/kindleusersforum)
+-- Forum: Kindle E-Ink Forums (/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Kindle Keyboard / Kindle 3 (/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: How do you sort yours....? (/thread-13234.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

How do you sort yours....? - I ♥ my Kindle - 05 Apr 2013 03:07 PM

This year my KK3 will be 3 years old (actually I had a replacement a couple of years ago, so ... )
anyway
Over the years I had amassed a fair amount of books, and I did try to sort them out into collections, etc.
Then I had the brainwave of a 'READ' collection which gained over 100 books in the time it was there. So I had READ, various author named, cookery, animal etc folders and about 200 'loose' books to sort, plus a 'not yet moved to Kindle' folder on my PC which had books not yet on theKindle in it .

It used to get on my pip a bit when I finished one book then had all those clumsy folders with loads of books in them, not remembering what I had, couldn't tell at a glance, what to read next blah blah

So I hit on the idea of wiping my Kindle back to empty, just upload a handful or so books onto it and delete them once read, after all they are never really gone as I still have them on Amazon or PC, and since ebooks I haven't had to re-read a book through lack of reading material.

I've also slowed the downloading of new books, because I sort of realised that most of the books dl'd on impulse would probably never get read if I DL 500 more in the meantime Smile

So the point of all that blurb is... I stopped trying to sort immense amounts of reading material, simplified the collection (just bung on a few at a time) and clear up after myself when finished (delete).
Much prefer the minimalistic approach.

RE: How do you sort yours....? - joo - 05 Apr 2013 03:15 PM

Nooo
Al mine are on my kindle. Even the read ones and the "I'll never read these" ones.
I'm good as I put them into collections from the start. If I have 3 pages on my home page I get itchy.
I don't have many collections, just a page worth.

RE: How do you sort yours....? - I ♥ my Kindle - 05 Apr 2013 03:29 PM

AH!!, you see I had 3 pages of collections and 15 pages overall, it was like walking into a library where all the shelves had been tipped into a heap in the middle Smile

RE: How do you sort yours....? - Phil - 05 Apr 2013 03:40 PM

I had everything on my Kindle Keyboard all sorted into nice neat little collections until I upgraded to a paperwhite.  If Amazon had a way of transferring everything over including collections then I would probably be still collecting everything on the paperwhite,  but unfortunately the handling of collections is a shockingly bad part of the kindle system.   So since getting the Paperwhite I've gone all minimalistic, with only a dozen or so books on the kindle.  I have them stored in a few collections to keep things organised and tidy.   My collections are READING NOW,  READ NEXT, TO READ and zREAD.  My current book is in READING NOW,  the one or two I fancy next get moved into READ NEXT to make picking easier come the time. All the others stay in TO READ.  When I finish a book it moves into zREAD just as a reminder I have completed it.    The home screen is blank other than that.

RE: How do you sort yours....? - Kath Middleton - 05 Apr 2013 03:46 PM

I rarely tidy up at home (but then you don't make much mess when you're reading) so I don't tidy up my kindle. 2 categories - read and to be read.

RE: How do you sort yours....? - quaser - 05 Apr 2013 07:46 PM

This is where Calibre (other e-book managers are available) is so useful. Although I have a 'Finished' collection, where I move a book as soon it has been read, I could never store all the books I have on my KK. I mean, it could get lost or broken, so using Calibre is a perfect solution. All the books are there, I can move them on or off the KK at will, I can sort them by author or any one of an number of criteria, whatever I wish. Makes upgrading a doddle, especially if, like me, e-books come from lots of sources, not just Amazon. Remember, Amazon only stores what you have had from them, so if you bought from any other site, these will not be stored.

Wine2

RE: How do you sort yours....? - tao - 05 Apr 2013 08:01 PM

(05 Apr 2013 07:46 PM)quaser Wrote: Wrote:  This is where Calibre (other e-book managers are available) is so useful. Although I have a 'Finished' collection, where I move a book as soon it has been read, I could never store all the books I have on my KK. I mean, it could get lost or broken, so using Calibre is a perfect solution. All the books are there, I can move them on or off the KK at will, I can sort them by author or any one of an number of criteria, whatever I wish. Makes upgrading a doddle, especially if, like me, e-books come from lots of sources, not just Amazon. Remember, Amazon only stores what you have had from them, so if you bought from any other site, these will not be stored.

Wine2
All my books regardless where I bought them are stored in my Amazon under archive. I've transfered lots to my Nexus tablet this way.

RE: How do you sort yours....? - Andy Barrett - 05 Apr 2013 08:55 PM

I should employ some kind of method to sort out my KK. When I finish a book I have to scroll through pages to find a book I haven't read. And then, after ten pages, discover I have read it after all Sad

RE: How do you sort yours....? - Mel Armstrong - 05 Apr 2013 09:24 PM

I have my books broken down by category, but no 'have read' section. I think I'm going to steal that idea

RE: How do you sort yours....? - Tim_A - 06 Apr 2013 07:57 AM

There's no collection support on the iPad app Angry I've played around with them a bit on my paperwhite, but they're awkward, not particularly flexible, and if I can't sync collections between devices, they're not a lot of use.

So pretty much all I can do is delete the stuff I've read and sort either by title or recent. Consequently books I know I want to read fatten get forgotten about. That's a big FAIL on Amazon's part.